inTank Media Baskets

Best place for mushrooms

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

I have two purple mushrooms on a small piece of oddly shaped live rock. I got it from my dad, out of his large tank. Mine is a 24g jbj. I just stuck the mushroom rock on top of another piece of live rock, placing it about 4 inches off the sand. It is getting moderate flow. They seem to be doing really well but the rock that they are atttached to looks really awkward where it is right now. They are getting moderate/higher flow. Where is the best place in the tank as far as height and flow for these? Will they do ok with their rock right in the sand? Because of its shape it is difficult to set it on another rock.

Also, how do they spread/divide?

the mushrooms just split. its kinda weird. one day ull c it looking normal in their circle shape then it will turn ovalish then like two circles put together then they just plit. ive have it happen a lot to some kind of mushrooms i have in my tank.

Pistol Pete
the mushrooms just split. its kinda weird. one day ull c it looking normal in their circle shape then it will turn ovalish then like two circles put together then they just plit. ive have it happen a lot to some kind of mushrooms i have in my tank.

Do they split when they get to a certain size or is it pretty random?

Pistol Pete

I moved the shrooms to the sand in the front of the tank and they didn't look so good. Looks like there were really taking a beating from the current, blowing around a bit. I was worried so I moved them back and now they dont look so good.

I moved the shrooms to the sand in the front of the tank and they didn't look so good. Looks like there were really taking a beating from the current, blowing around a bit. I was worried so I moved them back and now they dont look so good.

Give 'em some time. Not recommended to be moving any coral in several locations in a brief period. Corallimorphs are somewhat motile. If they don't like a spot they have been known to unattach (sometimes leaving a little surprise) and tumble around in the current and end up in a better spot. Just make sure they don't end up "face down". They "spit up" as a reaction to stress. You can't kill these things... throw in paper shredder= 100 new mushrooms... attn PETA I was JK ;)

Archived