Cultivated Reef

Lighting for UK Nano reefers...

Sahin

Dougall look at this: (And everyone else)

Visit http://www.reefcreation.co.uk/

And scroll down the left form and then click on the picture link that says "Lower Price T5 StarCoat Lamps"

They are selling at £69.99

Non UK reefers, let me know what you think of this system.

I was a bit confused about the whole thing really.

Is this like PowerCompact or VHO or something?

Thoughts/advice very much appreciated.

Christopher Marks

They seem to me to be fluorescent tubes like VHO, but based upon the theory behind powercompacts.  Normal and VHO fluorescent lamps are either T8 (smaller lamps like 18" and 24" bulbs) and T12 (larger lamps with a larger diameter tube).  These are T5, where the tube diameter is 5/8" - smaller than even a T8 bulb.  Powercompacts (which are a type of fluorescent lighting) use narrow diameter tubes also, which makes the gases burn brighter and give a greater output with less power.  So essentially, T5 lamps are very similar to powercompacts, but in a strait tube.  It sounds to me like they will work very well.  You may want to post on some UK aquarium message boards and get some opinions from others that have used them.

Hi Ya Sahin

I got this today too

IMO the price is ludicrous.

I will hopefully pick up something from a freind in Holland or germany

or try some of the non aquatic alternatives but with a 6500 plus kelvin rating from b n q etc

Hi, Dougall do you know of any T5 ballasts and tubes (6.5K+) from B&Q???

If so let me know, I will visit a B&Q store in a few weeks, see what they got. (My d*mn car is broken down-had accident).

I think I will invest in one of these T5 lighitng systems to give a little boost to my current lighting setup.

So until I fix my car, after my final exams, I cant go investigating.

Hi Sahin

This lighting thing in UK is really p)()sing me off.

It is so over priced.

Would doubt they have T5 but they should have some 6500 alternatives (hopefully)

If not until october I may go for standard aqarium tank tubes - the smallest actinic here I beleive is 18" so I may have to try a 24x5x12 as a first tank - which is not what I really wanted - but it may have to be a compromise :-(

Dougall: yeah the situation here in the UK makes me angry too.

Currently on my 25G tank (its 36inch long so I am lucky) I have 3 30inch normal output flourecents on, i plan to add another by next month.

In one of the LFS (Manor Aquatics in Romford Road, London)are testing a new type of lighting, which they said will be complete in two months.

The lighting is I think VHO, I am not sure.

But anyhow, its more suitable for larger tanks :(

We need Power Compacts OVER HERE!!!

Yes we do Sahin

and at US prices :D

I have not been to Manor Aqautics for years - guess I will have to pop over one weekend.

BTW - are the 3 lights 'grossly' insufficient - or are you just upgrading??

thanks

Archived