ReefCleaners.org

waratah anemone

adinsxq

And in other news, I'm expecting an order of Hawaiian Red Shrimp (Halocaridina rubra) to arrive today from Ocean Rider (seahorse.com). The plan is to move the Jeremai to its own tank with a breeding population of these shrimp. I'm experimenting ... :lol:

The shrimp are EXPENSIVE, have some very attractive attributes.

1. They reproduce easily (slowly) - www.petshrimp.com

2. They stay bite-sized (1.5 cm)

3. They do not have razor sharp claws of destruction (they feed mainly on algae and bacterial film)

We'll see what happens.

My order arrived.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117218

(not so hot)

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adin, sorry to hear about you order. On another note fragglereef.com has just recieved a few more waratah anems if somebody is interested.

• 3 weeks later...
firstimereefer
sold as "african dwarf" at local store

bonsai_086.jpg

also lareefs.com and fragglereef.com

I love the color adin on that african dwarf. As for updates on the baby waratah. It was feeding nice then one day poof it was gone. I have never seen it since I dont know if it was adventurous and moved, but I am not taking apart my whole tank to find it. Next time I will remove it from the rock work and put it on a piece of rubble instead.

There's so many pages...so I'll ask.

Will these guys do well in a small tank like a 2.5 gallon pico? I'd love to keep a few of these in there. :)

yes and no

size of tank probably fine

keeping water quality high... maybe not so fun

yes and no

size of tank probably fine

keeping water quality high... maybe not so fun

What are the lighting requirements? I was thinking of the Coralife mini...2x9W 10,000K or should it be 1x9W 10KK + 1x9W actinics?

I just want one or two Waratah anemones, a rose anemone, and a RBTA...so not much

....hahaha, JK!

Seriously, just maybe just one or two small Waratah anemones. Hopefully they split as often as MFish's. :)

firstimereefer
omgomgomg I FOUND MY BABY WARATAH!!! I was doing my normal maintenance and what do I spot in the back corner of my tank my little baby waratah, I moved it up front and turned off the pumps for five min. to give it a chance to attach. I thought that thing was a goner, go figure it would show up again. I will post a pic when I can find my camera again.
firstimereefer

Well I turned the pumps on and 2 secs later it was gone again, damn I cant get it right maybe it will pop up again. Any suggestions adin?

keep things stable... MFISH's tank is going nuts

Are you saying that I'm doing a good job? :happydance:

I just found yet another one.

Someone save me. I need to upgrade haha.

I get the feeling one day the lil baby damsel in there will wind up anemone food. (And I will laugh, because I'm evil like that)

Did I miss something?

My sg is like.. 1.023.............

Also: love the look, despite the pipe being out of the water. Kind of what I'm going to be going for once I consolidate the two tanks together.

brackish for the shrimp

those red splotches are clumps of gracilaria fragments, not cyano

those red splotches are clumps of gracilaria fragments, not cyano

Sure it's not ;) ;)

Also, another baby surfaced today

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

WOW, just browsed through all 14 pages.

How do you keep grown nems from killing each other? It seems like they sprout babies "semi-frequently" ... so wouldn't u guys get piles of dead nem muck as soon as they get large?

• 1 month later...
kingwintergreen
Are you saying that I'm doing a good job? :happydance:

I just found yet another one.

Someone save me. I need to upgrade haha.

I get the feeling one day the lil baby damsel in there will wind up anemone food. (And I will laugh, because I'm evil like that)

Hey, man... I was referred to you, I guess, as a possible source of waratahs for trade... still have a reproducing poulation? If so, are you interested in acquiring some other temperate anemone species through trade (Anthopleura xanthograma or A. elegantissima-- have some now that are doing awesome)? Also, do you have a positive ID on that "African Dwarf" yet (ie. scientific name)? Have you ever seen them available elsewhere? Hope you still check this thread once in a while, see ya...

Archived