waratah anemone

adinsxq

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"the aquarium" on sepulveda blvd in culver city

no

Heard of that place by Tigahboy but I never went to check it out. Seems like they might have some nice stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

They really are beautiful, i live in Australia, and can find them just down the road in the rock pools :) . There are also some white, and a really nice green variations, however they are different species, but if you could find some of them you could have a some splashes of green :)

Nice pics but.

P.S - to whoever said that "they sux" etc.. if you judge a creature just by its colour then what kind of marine enthusiast are you? pffft....

hi!

welcome to NR

haven't updated because it's pretty much the same. i feed it a live guppy every few days. still my favorite

So I saw that Sea Dwelling Creatures has what's at least listed as Waratah anemones, but the locale was...damn memory....I think Hawaii. I'm doubtful as to the accuracy of any wholesaler's species i.d... :P

For what it is worth ... i had one for couple of years until I had to tear down the tank. Fed it squid once in a while. No special lighting. Back then simple aquarium plant bulbs. Did spit out a couple of babies from time to time, but never got them to establish.

I am always looking for some and especially looking for someone who is rearing these or propagating.

IMO great addition to a reef.

• 2 weeks later...

These are all over the tidepools here in Australia. You can acclimate them into a reef tank but they are notorius fish eaters. I wouldnt recommend them. They are damn beautiful though. I might setup an temperate Australian tidepool pico though. I've got a spare 5 gal tank and I reckon it would lok pretty cute. haha.

• 4 weeks later...

i live in NSW in Australia, there are so many of these anemones, they are everywhere,like a plague, also interesting when the tide goes out they are exposed and when they withdraw themselves they with draw into a blood red bubble i think this is accomplished by wrapping there outise membrane around themselves cool stuff or turning inside out.

anemone.jpg

look at this

Waratah Anemone

Waratah Anemones grow to about 4 cm across. At low tide they look like a dark red blob with a red centre. When the tide is in the red tentacles unfold in a circle around the mouth.

When Waratah Anemones are under the water their tentacles are out. When they are exposed they close up and pull their tentacles in. Waratah Anemones live on the rocky shores of Australia. They are found under rocks in the intertidal zone.

Waratah Anemones eat shrimp, worms and fish.

Waratah Anemones wait for prey to come past. Prey sticks to their many tentacles. They sting their prey to stop it getting away. The anemones pull their prey into their mouth with their tentacles.

Fish, crabs, starfish and some sea slugs all eat Waratah Anemones.

this is off a facts page i feel proud to be australian its not often anyone on nanoreefs talks about australian species

Believe me go to our Barrier reef you will die of amazement, not bragging but if we dont have the best looking corals i will be amazed. :D

Believe me go to our Barrier reef you will die of amazement, not bragging but if we dont have the best looking corals i will be amazed. :D

You don't, and believe me, I've looked - the distinction of 'best looking corals' falls on Belize (especially the Turneffe Atoll), with Fiji in a close second if you're a fan of soft corals. Sheer abundance, not quality or diversification, is what makes the GBR such a great set of dive sites.

In my opinion, anyway. :)

There are dive sites on the great barrier reef that are restricted because of the unique explicit incredible beauty and mind blowing ecosystem, believe me if you saw the restricted atols and areas under study you would rate belize in second by far,

you must have seen one of the dive sites they say are the best , but believe me no ones allowed to go anywhere near the resticted parts of the reef, you must have seen some of the 75% of the barrier reef that isnt that incredible but the rest is hardly researched, they even believe this is where the cure for cancer is hidden and hundreds of other cures for diseases.

You cant possibly believe the biggest organism in this universe, the great barrier reef dosent have atleast the top 5% of all coral in the world it hasnt accomplished thousands of miles of growth without beholding unkept secrets,

YOU HAVE TO KNOW ABOUT SECRETS TO SEE THEM.

and about soft corals, your definetly not looking in the right spot, SPS on our reef will blow anyones mind even if you coral aphobic.

Tell me where on the reef you went I bet Heron Island, Green Island, Hardy's reef, ribbon reef if these no wonder you saw nothing, TOURIST sites are no where near the best.

Lets See the reef Let There Be Beauty:

had a look at belize and the atoll nice but No No No NO NO NO No No No no no no no no no no where near not even close you have to do better than that

Areas under study, eh? I understand your love for your country, but you are misguided; I am not a tourist by any stretch of the imagination.

Two years ago I spent a few weeks with the nice folks at the Lizard Island Research Center, helping to collect population data on COTS in the area. While there, we recieved permission from the Marine Park Authority to monitor the migration patterns of potato cod, since the population around the research station had dropped in years past; that took us North.

I found the islands directly east of Captain Billy Landing to be particularly fascinating. After two weeks of diving reefs that not a single other human had ever been in, including yourself, I think I am qualified to make a statement on the 'best coral on earth'.

Belize has better coloration and stony coral density; heck, so does Tonga and the Marshall Islands, not to mention larger densities of fish and sponges. As I said, it is sheer volume that makes the GBR amazing, not the wildlife it contains.

Okay but i still think there are some undiscovered secrets but i do believe there is better coloured coral out there and i trust your experience.

baby!

came home today to a very limp and deflated anemone. upon further examination, i found a little pink blob with tentacles just under the mother's mouth (the anemone is hanging upside down under a rock)

:)!

post-1922-1154307488_thumb.jpg

ripped apart the tank to rescue the baby--fed baby a tiny guppy. not sure if it ate the guppy, last i looked (before passing out for the night) it was on its way in, but the it may have been too large

momma still deflated :\

baby!

came home today to a very limp and deflated anemone. upon further examination, i found a little pink blob with tentacles just under the mother's mouth (the anemone is hanging upside down under a rock)

:)!

Good Luck

Izzue

Archived