Pod Your Reef

Help!

Fliger

You guys have inspired me to build my own built-in overflow. But I need some help, PLEASE.

I have a 40G reef that I was going to sell & buy one with a b/in o/f but it's over $200. So I thought I might build one myself. I hate my external one so I think this is the best way. I'm going to do this either on my 40G or 29G acrylic, not sure which one yet.

I know how one works, but I'm wondering if you guys can help me with any hazards to look out for. My tanks are clear with a black back. Is it as easy as just buying 1/4" acrylic pieces, cutting them to shape, seeming them together, then using a dremel to notch the top? All before I seem it all to my tank? I figured I'd drill two holes in the bottom of my tank for to & from my sump/fuge. Or can I buy a 90 degree acrylic piece from an acrylic or Home Depot type store, cut to fit, notch top then seal?

Then I figured I'd put in some sort of Durso standpipe for drainage, and a bulkhead also inside the o/f unit for a return. Drill a hole on

The tank is a Clear For Life acrylic, and I'm not sure if there are any things I need to keep in mind when drilling these holes, like space between or distance from sides or even if the tank bottom will give out!!

If I did the 40G, I figured I'd go 5" lengwise & 3" deep. The tank itself is 36" long & 15" deep.

What do you guys think? Is this too difficult or should I just buy a new tank. The tank itself is only a year old so I'd hate to blow another couple hundred.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Fliger

You guys have inspired me to build my own built-in overflow.  But I need some help, PLEASE.

I know how one works, but I'm wondering if you guys can help me with any hazards to look out for.  My tanks are clear with a black back.  Is it as easy as just buying 1/4" acrylic pieces, cutting them to shape, seeming them together, then using a dremel to notch the top?  All before I seem it all to my tank?  I figured I'd drill two holes in the bottom of my tank for to & from my sump/fuge.  Or can I buy a 90 degree acrylic piece from an acrylic or Home Depot type store, cut to fit, notch top then seal?

I only have the return in mine but you are right on track with just getting a couple pieces of 1/4" and welding them together. As far as supply for the tank if youre redoing it all why not make a spray bar with clear acrylic tubing?

Then I figured I'd put in some sort of Durso standpipe for drainage, and a bulkhead also inside the o/f unit for a return.  Drill a hole on?

Use the compact version of the durso located here http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/s...en_stockman.htm that way you can keep overflow chamber size to a minimum.

The tank is a Clear For Life acrylic, and I'm not sure if there are any things I need to keep in mind when drilling these holes, like space between or distance from sides or even if the tank bottom will give out!!  

I think the structural integrity would be fine just keep it about 2" from each side. You could probably ask a local glass shop about it just to make sure.

If I did the 40G, I figured I'd go 5" lengwise & 3" deep.  The tank itself is 36" long & 15" deep.

Good size for what you have planned just make sure it can accomodate the stand pipe before you build it.

What do you guys think?  Is this too difficult or should I just buy a new tank.  The tank itself is only a year old so I'd hate to blow another couple hundred.

Thanks!

Awesome idea just make sure to take pics and post them

Archived