Innovative Marine Aquariums

Raising Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Catspa

Does anyone have any experience raising Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, or know of some site with good info about the processes?  because I've just noticed that my skunk has eggs (definetely eggs & not paracites or anything).  (I had a feeling there was something not quite right with him/her cause he has been eating Ferociously (consuming hudge amounts of food) for the last two weeks or so.

I would really like to see the little guys servive is possible so ANY info would be appreciated!

thx :)

p.s. its curious that its the only skunk in my tank, my other one died about 2 months ago from unknown causes.  I relize that they have both sex organs, but did not know that self fertilization was possible with them.  Or perhaps it just held onto the others "sex" material for a couple of months before it desided to use it, cause fertilization usualy produces eggs in only a couple of weeks.. or so i thought...?

catspa,

You are right The skunk cleaner can hold sperm for months and have several batches of babies from just one fertilization. as for caring for them I cannot help you there.

HTH,

Toy

Do you have any other livestock in the tank? If so I would seperate the shrimp as it's youngsters will almost certainly become food for it's tank mates otherwise.

Thanks

Dan

BustytheSnowMaam

I really know very little about this, so maybe I shouldn't reply, but I know when hermit crabs release their zooae (sp?) into the ocean they need a current to stay moving thru the water, or they die (which is one reason they don't survive in the tank).  The larvae also get sucked into powerheads/filters easily.  I don't know how much of this applies to shrimp, but it could be similar.

Tasha

BustytheSnowMaam

I really know very little about this, so maybe I shouldn't reply, but I know when hermit crabs release their zooae (sp?) into the ocean they need a current to stay moving thru the water, or they die (which is one reason they don't survive in the tank).  The larvae also get sucked into powerheads/filters easily.  I don't know how much of this applies to shrimp, but it could be similar.

Tasha

Currently, I've only go one small clown and firefish in the tank.  I'm not really sure how to proceed at this point.  Either i'll have to issolate the shrimp or the fish, probably the fish, but i'm not sure what would be the most effective way to do this..... I have another tank setup but i'm in the middle of cycling it.

I was thinking of floating the fish in breader containers.. but they would have to stay in them for atleast two weeks untill my other tank is ready and that seams a bit cruel..... i supose i could set up another tank and use my current (established) filter to get it up and doing right away, but that would mean spending more $$ and i don't think my credit can stand it.

anyway.. anyone else have some info?

p.s. Since noticing the eggs i've stop the filter, and increased my air - i think there is anough cerculation being created by it now.

Currently, I've only go one small clown and firefish in the tank.  I'm not really sure how to proceed at this point.  Either i'll have to issolate the shrimp or the fish, probably the fish, but i'm not sure what would be the most effective way to do this..... I have another tank setup but i'm in the middle of cycling it.

I was thinking of floating the fish in breader containers.. but they would have to stay in them for atleast two weeks untill my other tank is ready and that seams a bit cruel..... i supose i could set up another tank and use my current (established) filter to get it up and doing right away, but that would mean spending more $$ and i don't think my credit can stand it.

anyway.. anyone else have some info?

p.s. Since noticing the eggs i've stop the filter, and increased my air - i think there is anough cerculation being created by it now.

Archived