Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Aqua C remora stopped skimming

Twistedpro

I have just got back from being away and my aqua c remora has stopped skimming, it has not pulled anything out, and my nitrates are going through the roof. Not sure why this has happend and i am not sure what to do now

10" Red Devil

Have you cleaned out the spray injector? Also have you considered that you may just not have anything to pull out? What size tank? What type of system? How often do you feed? Do you have a fuge? etc, etc, etc!

it was skimming before i went away, i have come back nitrates are through the roof.

Its running on a 30g tank i have 4 fish. I have given it a clean today to see if it was blocked but i have seen nothing coming out yet

Have you added any high performance carbon or a poly filter? Mine stopped skimming the minute I put Chemi-pure in to replace the regular carbon.

10" Red Devil
it was skimming before i went away, i have come back nitrates are through the roof.

Its running on a 30g tank i have 4 fish. I have given it a clean today to see if it was blocked but i have seen nothing coming out yet

Have you tried cleaning the pump? If you have cleaned out the spray injector and the skimmer neck then your pump may be going out and/or defective.

I really hope you can fix this. I know when I had a Remora I never had it completely stop skimming, but it did not do a very good job.

Now I have an ASM G-1 and it dances circles around the Remora. They are great for softie and fish only tanks, but I will never use one again for an sps system.

Have you added any high performance carbon or a poly filter? Mine stopped skimming the minute I put Chemi-pure in to replace the regular carbon.

was there any fix for this, or did you remove the chemi-pure?

I'm just running the Chemi-pure for now and when it saturates I'll take it out. I did an experiment and removed the Chemi-pure for a couple of days and then my skimmer was foaming again, so the Chemi-pure does remove organic matter. My tank was cycling and its now done, I'm sure with the increased bioload of added fish and corals the Chemi-pure won't be an issue.

so you attribute the skimmer stopping to the chemipure "beating" the skimmer to removing the organic material, and not to the chemipure having some other effect on the water like dosing dt's oyster eggs? (I THINK the label warns that the skimmer stops skimming when you dose oyster eggs, but it may be some other product i am thinking about)

I agree with a few people here. keep the collection cup clean, and run the brush through the injector, and definitely be sure that the pump is clean. You could also run the skimmer on a bucket of fresh water mixed with a lot of vinegar. It'll help dislodge some of the stuff that you cannot reach.

I'm not sure that i believe all of the hype about chemi-pure, though. I used it a while ago, and I wasn't impressed with the results. They mention quite a long life, but I can't imagine any kind of carbon with that kind of longevity, even if it has some resins in it. I prefer running carbon for a few days when my water looks like it could use a little touching up. Just some food for thought. If it works for you, then keep using it.

Archived