SaltCritters.com

anemone

xenon87

What causes anemones to turn brown? Could it be insufficient lighting or water quality? I have a bulb-tip anemone and just noticed today that the tip of the tentacles are slightly brown.

Well you dont have enough light for your anemone. You have that 29g tank with 130W of PC's right? I think they start to loose color under low lights. They demand higher lights.

What causes anemones to turn brown? Could it be insufficient lighting or water quality? I have a bulb-tip anemone and just noticed today that the tip of the tentacles are slightly brown.

Was it horribly white to start with? If it was then it is starting to recover and it its photosynthetic algae hosted within its cells is returning..

If it was already a colour apart from brown [like red or green] - then it might be adapting to lower than required lighting to absorb more energy from your PCs... It doesnt mean it will remain this colour as they can bleach from shock, from different water chemistry or different light conditions, it may not recover either, it doesnt also mean that it is going to die either.

I had a sebae which went from white, to brown to greeny brown before it got too big and regrettably had to be sold on, under 74w PCs.

shaggydoo541

As gilli said, usually browning is a good sign. Many anenomes are kept under inadequate lighting while in stores. Therefore they bleach. If it is coloring up you are probably good unless it is browning from some other color (that it is supposed to be; red, green, whatever).

Archived