Pod Your Reef

buying a NC 12DX...help with lighting please

Dan Thrash

hello,

i'm interested in buying a 12 gal NanoCuber DX. the only thing i'm not sure about is the lighting. i'm not a fan of softies, but i want to house zoos, ricordia, favia and some LPS...and i want to do it right. i'm not sure if the 48W lighting on the DX is sufficient, or if that is bare minimum for keeping these corals. i am contemplating ordering a new hood from Nanocustoms....either a 3.24 or a 4.24. what do you think would be best? upgrade lighting? or save my money cuz the stock DX is good enough?

oh also, is it worth getting the 13W fuge/sump lighting from nanocustoms?

thanks for the help!

-Dan

I'm a big fan of upgrading the lighting, I have 72 watts on my NC6

I would go with the 4.24 upgrade because it will give you the best range of options on lighting.

Ordering a new hood from Chris at Nanocustoms is the way to go, great quality & service. They also upgrade the fans & heatshield so your tank will run cooler with upgraded lighting than with the stock hood.

A behind the tank fuge light works better than an in hood fuge light because the area for the light to shine thru is much larger behing the tank than over the tank.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ic=70138&st=160

I have the DX with stock lighting, and I can tell you that my zoa's, xenia, GSP, fogspawn, and hammer coral are all doing well and growing.

I have an OG with a DX hood. I'm running 72W and my candycane, zoos, frogspawn, and gsp are lovin it.

I am finishing my install and review of the 4.24 upgrade from Nanocustoms today. Keep an eye out, it may help you decide. Frankly you can't have too much light in the 12 so go for the 4.24. The price difference is a bulb and a bigger ballast.

I have the 4.24 and can say that it was a good upgrade. The stock lighting did o.k.48w. But the new lighting seemed to help the corals open up more, and defenitly gave my zoas a darker color in just 3 or 4 days, highly recommend!

I am finishing my install and review of the 4.24 upgrade from Nanocustoms today. Keep an eye out, it may help you decide. Frankly you can't have too much light in the 12 so go for the 4.24. The price difference is a bulb and a bigger ballast.

The article is done. Just click on the 2nd link in my sig. Can you give me some feedback on the article? Is it too long, too short, just right, too detailed?

Thanks!

I would advise NOT to buy a nano cube because I bought one and when i plgueed the thing in the cooling fans started to spark and started a fire. Whe i returtned the item to my LFS I was told that numerous customers were returning the nanos because of the same problem.

I would advise NOT to buy a nano cube because I bought one and when i plgueed the thing in the cooling fans started to spark and started a fire. Whe i returtned the item to my LFS I was told that numerous customers were returning the nanos because of the same problem.

What an incredible thing, it's funny we haven't heard of this issue on this board. Are you sure you are not thinking of the Aquapod with the faulty wiring?

addam4208283

for the upgrade on the 12 g to the 4.24 NC 12DX is that price with buying the tank through nantuners? the reason i ask is becasue $339.95 seems like a lot for just the lighting. i mean that right there is around $440.00. does anyone else seem to think thats alot for a 12gl tank, or is it just me?

ADAM

RayWhisperer

Dan, welcome to N-R.com.

I'd say the stock lighting would be OK for what you wqant, depending on the type of LPS you are thinking of. If you have the money, do the 4.24 upgrade, this will allow you a wider range of corals in the future. If you are leary about sinking that much money into a 12, consider DIYing it. I just added 2 x 24 pony ballast and 4 new bulbs to one of mine, I think it cost me $100 w/out the heatshield (I DIY'd that from flat stock aluminum from the hardware store for about $10). All the parts can be ordered from Nanotuners.com. Good luck, whatever you decide.

thanks for the help everyone. sorry i forgot to post back, but i bought the 3.24 last week. it hasnt arrived yet but i'm excited. i was torn between the 4.24 and 3.24 but i think this will be just fine for what i want to do with the tank. i'm only looking to go as far as a few LPS (frogspawn and hammer probably) with mostly rics and zoos.

for the upgrade on the 12 g to the 4.24 NC 12DX is that price with buying the tank through nantuners? the reason i ask is becasue $339.95 seems like a lot for just the lighting. i mean that right there is around $440.00. does anyone else seem to think thats alot for a 12gl tank, or is it just me?

ADAM

That's for the pre-built one. It is a lot of labor so they charge for their time and don't forget the cost of the ballasts and bulbs, they are not inconsequential.

I just ordered the parts and did it myself, I found it easy but long so I can understand some people not wanting to DIY. Check the article in my sig.

Archived