Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My 30g (+ 20g high sump) plans (need some input)

Phil F

OK, Dont' know where to begin but, for the past two months I've been planning a tank out, originally it was going to be 30g, with a 10g sump, but I have now decided to go with a 20g high sump since that will fit in my diy stand. I need to know what I'm forgetting and if anything is not good enough for what I want. I basically want a reef tank that I can put whatever I want into.

What I was thinking was:

30 gallon standard for display

20 gallon high for sump

DIY stand (already built, 30" high)

DIY canopy (w/fans and MH light)

(1) 250W MH Retro kit w/20,000K XM bulb (electronic ballast)

(2) Maxi-jet 600 (both on sides in the back, but on opposite sides, facing the front center about, these will also be alternating with some sort of timer) [Are 600s enough, or should I go for the 900s?]

(1) Mag-Drive 5 for sump return

200W Jager Heater (in sump, tank will be in basement, it gets cold down there, this might even need to be a 300W)

40lbs live sand (25lbs in display, 15lbs in sump)

10lbs dead sand (in display)

15lbs live rock (10lbs in display, 5lbs in sump)

40lbs dead rock (30lbs in display, 5lbs in sump)

Some macro in sump

DIY overflow box

Plan to buy RO water(, or distill if I can't find RO, distill is what I run in my pico now.) I might break down and buy a RO/DI system, not sure yet.

Not sure on sump light and sump baffles yet.

Things I need input on, diameter of return, and drain lines, I was thinking 3/4" drain, 1/2" return. What dimensions would I need for the overflow too.

Any comments, suggestions? Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks,

that's sound pretty good.. what are you going to put in it?? just fish or corals too??? not much you can put in with just 30 gallons. I got a 30 oceanic tank too.. look nice .. but not much space.. i only have a pair of gold stripe maroon in there and it already filled up.

My plan is a few fish(I haven't done all of my research on fish yet since they are not what I'm into, I would like two Banggaii Cardinal though, maybe two other fish too) but mostly corals(all types, really looking forward to SPS, and LPS since I can't have them in my pico) and some inverts, I would love to have a clam too.

Id do at least a 1 inch drain and 3/4 returns but thats all I see that I would change with the setup...

Noted

Does anyone have a suggestions about how far I should have the light from the top of the water? I was thinking about 12".

As far as dimensions for the overflow, check with the manufacturer's websites (CPR Aquatic, LifeReef) and copy their boxes. It'll at least give you an idea.

35 lbs of sand in the display sounds like a lot - I have that in a 40 breeder, and it covers about an inch and a quarter of the bottom.

If you're not sure about which powerheads to get, you could always get a couple Aqua Clear 50's and adjust the flow to exactly what you need. I don't really like SPS, but from what I gather, the more flow the better.

Id do at least a 1 inch drain and 3/4 returns but thats all I see that I would change with the setup...

Out of curiosity, what's the reasoning behind doing a larger drain than return? Maybe that's the problem I'm having...

mike88camaro

IME, a larger drain would allow the overflow water to drain faster into your sump. And also to help prevent your return from flooding your living room.

Archived