Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Zoo acting weird won't fully open

KidCNU

Ok so i posted this a while before but they are still doing it,

i tested my tank fully today with all my kits something i needed to badly but never did

here are the results

Salt level:1.024

Nitrate: 0ppm's

PH:8.2

Ammonia: .5-1ppm

Nitrite: 0

and my temperature runs 80-84 degree's F

I have a 10gallon established for a almost a year

110W of PC lighting brand new bulbs

AC50 i think with chaeto in the back as a fuge

and a small power head for flow

I had a minor flatworm problem<the orange ones> so i took all the LR and coral out of my tank did a very intense cleaning of the sand and dipped and shook all the coral in freshwater and then returned everything to the tank and then a 3 days later did a 20% water change, Most of the flatworms were gone but still well over 100 left so i got a sixline wrasse who is now fat and happy but there are still alot of smaller flatworms but now only at the sand level not on coral or LR. What i think is curious is that the only coral affected is my zoanthids and paly's every other coral i have is doing great including a Monti-cap which i know need Very good water. If anyone has any suggestions on what might be up??

Attached is a picture of a new coral i got the other day and how it looked the day after and then now how it looks. and a picture of some unhappy zoo's

well in order to freshwater dip all my zoo's i'd have to practically dip my whole tank as they ahve grown everywhere

ANy other ideas?

I was going to say to dip them, too, always works for mine. Is this a new colony, or one you've had for a while? Sometimes my colonies just up and close for a few days to a week, for no apparent reason, then they'll be fine after. Try changing the flow pattern, or moving them to a different part of the tank, if you can. If you can't dip them, all you really can do is wait, I guess.

well the two pictures are of the new colony and then other one is one zoo's i've had for months that just won't open all the way

well the two pictures are of the new colony and then other one is one zoo's i've had for months that just won't open all the way

Well, the new colony could just be acclimating to your system. The older one, though - 'months' is a long time to get used to higher lighting, different flow, etc. have you tried taking away some of the light? Any fish in there that could be bugging them? Tons of hermits constantly crawling over them? I'm sure you've wracked your brain, but there's a reason they're not staying open.

I say, dip the rocks with the largest colonies on them. If it helps, dip the rest. Or, move everything to a larger tank, and dip them as you transfer them. Upgrades are fun, and after a year, you're due :)

i want a 20 gallon but my college says max size of 10 gallon, so i have 2 10 gallon salt and 2 10 gallon FW i'll have to figure out how to FW dip and try it

i want a 20 gallon but my college says max size of 10 gallon, so i have 2 10 gallon salt and 2 10 gallon FW i'll have to figure out how to FW dip and try it

My college didn't have dorms. Do they actually check to make sure you don't go over 20 gallons? And, since you have 20 SW gallons right now, they wouldn't let you just combine them into a larger tank?

You could also get a 15 - bet they wouldn't be able to tell the difference :)

haha they do room inspections once a semster, i actully thought about the 15gallon too i really don' thtink they would know unless there was a sideby side comparison, i want to swap all my stuff in my current tank into a new tank also cause my glass is covered all over with coraline algee cause i got lazy and didn't clean the glass. i don't know where i could hide the 20 gallon tho, and i know i don't have a stand for that. Anyways back to the zoo's FW dip the only thing anyoen can think of, would it be good to run carbon to get rid of the ammonia or is that a average level?

la la la my zoo's look a little better now that the six is eating the flatworms but they still aren't back to themselves any advice beside FW dip and should i try to lower my ammonia?

neanderthalman

Ammonia is up?

I think you may have figured out the problem.........

My zoos have been slowly shrinking and dying for a few months, and I could never find a problem. I swapped out the CC substrate for seeded sugar-sized sand from my other tank.

They're all starting to improve and recover, noticably only after a few days. That CC stuff was full of a lot of nasty junk.

neanderthalman

Ammonia has to come from somewhere, and it has to be filtered out of the water. There are two things you can do, increase the capacity of your tank to decompose ammonia, or decrease the ammonia production.

Ammonia is a sign of any of the following:

Overstocking

Overfeeding

Dead Critter decomposing

Not enough LR

Do any of these apply?

Well recently i have lost two clownfish w/out a trace, i took the whole tank apart and i couldn't find them at all, like i took all the LR and coral out and sifted the sand a little, other than the fish i don't know what it could be Maybe flatworms dying?? i'm gonna do another big waterchange tonight and add some carbon, any ideas if i can't see the dead material?

You could run an ammonia filter pad thingy in an internal filter, but your best bet would be the massive waterchanges, and waiting it out, I guess.

YAY they are opening again i added carbon and they are actully opening, well most i guess i need to keep runing carbon for a few weeks and frequent water changes

• 8 months later...

There was a podcast recently where a guy cleaned the worms from his sandbed, and the worms released toxins that wiped out his entire setup. Check talkingreef dot com. Sounds like what you are experiencing....

Archived