inTank Media Baskets

Staghorn crabs

Donna

Boy ....if these aren't the coolest looking hermits I've ever seen! Here's a link: http://www.reefsource.com/Species%20Databa...horn_hermit.htm

I am SOOOO tempted to drop the money on at least one of these guys....(30 bucks at most places I've seen so far) On sale at one place for 19.....Anyone EVER have one of these in a nano? I'm a little leary to purchase before I've heard of anyone else's experiences...if not ...I may bite the bullet and I can tell you all of my experiences! Would anyone else spend this much money on a crab?????:o

I have kept them in tanks of all sizes and I have always ended up with staghorn shells.

In the nano, there isn't enough room for them to crawl around the sand and they tend to fall off the rock, get lodged in a bad spot and die (if you don't give them an assist). In larger tanks, they can do well but are rather timid and mine got into fights and died at the hands of larger hermits. Seeing as they are so timid, they also become relatively easy prey for fish that would normally try once to snag a hermit and then move on.

They are cool as hell and fun to watch but you have to always be on the lookout for them, lest they wind up wedged in a crack somewhere.

damn....that's disappointing...but glad you replied before I plunked down 30 bucks for one! Some day if I ever get to retire and can sit home and watch my tank all day I'll get one! Thanks again Crakeur

either wait until you can keep an eye on them or wait until you have a bigger tank. sadly, they are best kept when there is a lot of sand for them to crawl thru.

glad I could be of some help.

• 2 weeks later...

they don't need to change shells as the "shell" they reside in is actually a non-photosynthetic coral. The coral grows with the crab, usually faster. The crab ends up hauling around an odd shaped, over sized home that often causes it to tumble off of rocks and get stuck in tight places.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried keeping these guys on two different occasions, in my 75g reef with a 6-8" sand bed. My tank had alot of open crawling space for him, but he would only use about an 8" square area.

Eventually they both died, They were still in thier shell when they died. I left the shell in the tank, hoping a blue leg hermit would call it home, but they never did. I also have a few friends who tried them about the same time I did, and they failed as well.

I have the feeling they have a specialized diet that hasn't been figured out yet. Just my opinion though.

• 1 month later...

I have kept these as well...Unfortunatly, these guys tend to either die or crawl out of their shells the first opportunity they have (would you want to drag around a huge shell?) and then you have a 30 buck hermit crab. They are the coolest crab ever, however they aren't really outfitted for long-term aquarium life.

Archived