Cultivated Reef

::!!fellow nano reefer needs alot of advice here!!::

lowpro1

here is my problem. i seem to have fallen in love with this hobby and cant decide on what fish i want to keep! i have been putting alot of sleepless nights into looking up information on allll differant types of fish. and i cant seem to be able to decide on which to keep. now i have a 20 gallon tank. and i want to keep 4 fish maybe even 5 depending. so let give you my list and let you guys give me your feed back. try to pair the following fish up in the best order that they will work together. and if you dislike a fish i have picked, please give me a reason so i am a little more educated here.

1 or 2 firefish

1 cherbu angel

1 or 2 royal dottyback

1 clown fish

1 spotted mandarin (by himself, but herd they are hard to care for)

1 redtail hawaiian filefish

1 orange tail damsel

as you can see i have myself pretty deep in this, but what can i say i love this hobby. what i wanna do is either have 1 main fish, and a few smaller ones like the angel or filefish. but my main purpose is to get COLOR. as much as i can witout over loading my tank. so PLEASE help my out before i go crazy over here

ixnay on the anderinfishmay

I would go with 2 firefish and a clownfish

Or

2 clownfish and a royal gramma

Or

any other combo of these fish

A damsel might not get a long with any other fish. And a cherub angel will eat coral polyps (I think).

ii would go with:

2 firefish cause they like to be in pairs. and a clown fish.

or

1 royal dottyback and apair of clowns, just make sure you have lots of hiding holes.

cherub angels can take polyps.

filefish havn't had much exsperiece with them.

manderins they are picky eaters and not good for beginners.

the damsel would be a no-no coaue they usually become a major pain in the ar$e as they get bigger.

HTH

ps don't put more then 3 or 4 fish in a 20G

2 clownfish and a royal gramma

This is what I have in my 20. It seems to be a classic choice. The fish reach similar size, have similar temperments and eat the same food (the clowns just eat more of it). In general, it works well. I probably would've added them at the same time if I were doing it over. I added the gramma first and then the clowns ... and the gramma thinks he owns the place. My clowns rarely notice him which is why I added them second; I thought they would pick on the gramma. But my gramma's more agressive than either clown. Live 'n' learn.

Too bad my female clown is bigger than the gramma. Look in the fish forum for more details.

yea im thinking that im going to max out on 4 fish. maybe 4 im trying to figure out a color scheme that works for me and the fish. if i go with a royal i got purple and yallow, the clown is orange, and the firefish is red and white. i think those colors would be beautiful. i might get a 30 gallon but only if i sell my 20 first which doesnt look like its happening. so maybe i will go with...

2 firefish (male, female beacsue of what yo uguys said)

1 royal dottyback

1 clown.

those should work right? i mean no fights and everyone will be happy?

Masoch:: wat do you feed your clown fish and your royal? and will the firefish take the same food?

that will be all that i will keep in my 20 will be those 4 fish. i know they stay smal and they arnt aggessive twords eachother from what i have been reading all over the net. but if anyone else has any suggestions keep them comming because im far from being ready for fish so anything can change. i will keep you guys posted and expect pictures when im up and running. thanks alot guys!

do any of you guys keep a "hi fin red banded goby". because insted of keeping 2 firefish i might keep 1 firefish and 1 of the hifin along with the royal and clown. insted of taking chances and getting 2 male firefish. but if not then i will make sure i get male and female. because i seen how fish abuse others through my freshwater tank, my blue rainbow dominated all, and killed alot of my fish. and i dont want that to happen in my salt water tank becasue there is no room for error.

if youre getting 2 firefishes one can be aggressive with the other unless they are a true "pair". Yes they like to swim in pairs or in groups but IME this is only true when theyre still younger. My two liked each other for many months and now shes bullying the other one all over the place. If youre getting a dottyback, make sure you add him last coz they are territorial . I would suggest to get a true pair of clowns and a firefish. good luck

Archived