Cultivated Reef

6mo old tank and still having diatoms

reefinnewb

My tank is 6months old, upgraded from a 3 month old tank. Anyways, im still haveing diatom outbreaks. I dont overfeed, have a sump/fuge with a large amount of cheato, tried two different water sources, and i skim. The only thing that i can think of that is causeing the diatoms would be the salt mix. I used to use oceanic but didnt want to deal with buffers so i switched to reef crystals. Both boxes i recieved were hard as bricks. I broke them apart and use it. Any one else have problems with reef crystals? Oh and i do weekly water changes of 5 gallons on a 15g tank. I also run Renew in my HOB

you've been skipping around a lot and your tank IMO hasn't had time to settle down to routine which is the best thing for a tank. get into a routine for 2 months, and some blue leg hermits and you'll be set.

describe what you mean as a routine and skipping around? I test once a week, do water changes once a week. The rock in my tank and most of the water and most of the sand are all from the old tank. So everything has had 8 months in my hands. I dont think that switching a salt is really going to make stuff wacky. Its changed slowly over many water changes. All inhabitants look great. I have about 8 hermits and 10-12 snails. I have great waterflow, I have tackled all of my algae outbreaks without a problem, this one however is stumping me considering i odnt feed much and have a medium bioload which is taken care of. IMO i have taken this hobby pretty slow. I truthfully believe my salt mix is making the problem. I have no hair algae, and no cyno. Not to mention my cheato grows at a pretty slow pace despite having a bunch of light of it. Thats bout all the info i can dish out right now. Please let me know if there is something else you need to know to help me out.

oh ok. My other tank was only set up for like 3 months and already had coralline growing, no algae of anykind and i did less work to it. That was only 5 gallons. This one is 15 plus a 10g sump its been set up for ~6 months, i have no coralline and algae, Im just stumped. I have been useing reefcrystals on this tank since the start and oceanic on the other tank. Corals all seem happy, but i hate looking at the tank with green sand. LOL. Very frustrating.

yup i tried two sources of ro/di. The store bought stuff actually made it worse. Go figure. I get it from those water huts and have been since the beginning. Im gonna try switching foods and see if that helps. The if that doesnt help, i think im going back to oceanic salt and getting an alk buffer to get the balance i need.

WHAT is a water hut?

They're like little huts or kiosks in a corner of a parking lot or something. They hold water in tanks underground, and you pay to fill up whatever container you brought with you. I don't trust the water to drink, much less for a tank, but then I haven't used them since I was a kid...

Yea but this water is run through RO then a uv steralizer. Ive run my tank on this water from the beginning, and no problems up until lately(since i switched tanks. Like I said im gonna try switching foods. If that doesnt work then its back to oceanic salt for me.

Archived