Coral Vue Hydros

my tank is crashing

Cam barr

i did a water change on tuesday wen i checked my ammona on wensday it was a 0.50ppm when i checked it after i changed water  it was lowerd to what i thought to be o could have benn .25ppm but ui guess not i even took it to a lfs and they said it was very low so i thought i was ok when i tested it this morning it was at 1.0ppm and nirtite is at whell never mind ammona is at4.0 now ph is at 7.8 ???? and nitrite is at o.25ppm ant sugestions on how i can save my tank  im seriously about to cry

jjharrisx4

Is this a new tank?  Have you added some new LR, are all critters accounted for?  Was your change out water stagnant?  More details are needed

printerdown01

Honestly, I don't know how to stop a crash... I have just relocated all of my stuff to the SF Bay Area, and I am right now just sitting and waiting to see if my tank is going to crash... I know, it is NOT fun!!! Keep an eye on the levels, it is possible that your tank will have a short cycle!! It will send everything into shock, but might not wipe everything out -This is not hypothetical, I have seen it happen before!! Honestly, there is a possibility that you won't have a lot of die-off! This is seriously what I am hoping for with my tank (if it re-cycles)... How much of a water change did you do? Anything weird about the tank before the water change?  I'm sorry :(

printerdown01

Wait cam, I just noticed that you have only two days between your water change and today... You might just have a test error on one of the days, for amonia to go from .5 to 4 would be one hell of a jump for one day!!! Even if your tank was crashing it would be a dramatic shift!! Something else might be going on here, which may cause your tank to crash... Anyone else have any ideas???!?!??!

ok nothing weird i dunno why it would start to cycle agan ??? im gonna fill about a gal and a half of watere in my bucket then take out some of my rock catch my damsel then take it over to my friends house then im gonna mix and change two gals of water from my tank im even going to use distilled water then put rocks back in tank will let ya know how it all turns out

cam

whell did another 2 gals and its still at 1.0 seriuosly i even used bottled water wtf fish is out so might settle down in a couple of days hopefully it blows my mind what could cause this i used ro on boath water changes nothings died ive added evry thing slowly i dunno if any thing does die ill juddt take  it out and let my tank cycle or do what ever its doin for another 2 months before i try any thing else thanks for the help cam

Stumped here....Unless you redid your rock work recently? like in the last three weeks?

Otherwise something had to die in there and something big. Could a hitchiker crab in a rock have croaked? Really its a mystery to me how you can have that much amonia in there without a source.

Sorry I'm no help,

Toy

printerdown01

Hey dude... slow down!! Don't keep preforming water changes or the tank WILL crash for sure!! -Ok, it might already be crashing, but if you keep adding new water, it will def. crash!! I recommend getting anything out that you want to keep (i.e. corals) LEAVE THE DAMSEL, ROCK, AND SAND, they should be just fine... -If I'm not mistaken you have a domino (hope my mem is correct on this!). Dominos are almost impossible to kill, most people use them to cycle the tank... If the tank was at the end of its first cycle, it is possible it cycled again... This happens sometimes (try adding more rock and sand if it has, usually it will cycle a 2nd time because it wasn't truely stable the first time).  If you could give us every bit of info you have on your tank in the past 3 weeks, that would be great!!! -anything you can think of: water changes (how much), test results, new inhabitants, added rock/sand anything! But definatly SLOW down on the water changes!!! -you might do more harm than good with these!!

ok i did the last water change  what im gonna do is let ir run dont know why i would have that much ammona friend has fish in his forty gal hes doing fine  brought  it down to 1.0 from 4.0 have no clue why  my ammona would be that high all inverts have benn accounted for evry thing is there shrooms seem to be doing better havent re done my rocks ???? i guess its a second cycle hop fully my livestock will stay alive should i do another water change  next week??? i might not to let levels settle out if any thing get any more stressed ill take it over to my friends forty i tore down my other forty and sold it to my dad is still kinda mine cuz im teaching him how to do evry thing i would  hav put the other stuff in my other tanks but no joke  i have no room  my two tens are fully stocked to the maxx but thanks for the help ill keep u posted on whats goin on thanks guys

printerdown01

Water change next week would be good! Hey cam, keep me up-dated on the params -ok!! E-mail me if you have to! printerdown01@hotmail.com... I'll try to help you out the best that I can... I might be going through the same thing sortly (moved my stuff from SD to SF Area). Some of my rocks got a little too dry, at least in my opinion! Picked up a peice of cured rock from a LFS and have added the ugly thing to my tank for the time being just to add more bacteria (to make up for the stuff that died when some of my rock dried a little). I hope your tank is ok!!! Got a few of my local buddies brainstorming on how to stop a tank from crashing, but honestly we don't know of one!

hey thanks will do ill prob test twice a day

whare in the sf bay area my dad owns a vinyard in napa so when im up i  go down into the bay area but i do know of some fish shops there if u need some guidence with the city i know it really well thanks for the help cam

Take your water to a lfs and have them test it.  How long have you had your test kits?  Sometimes the reagent in the kit goes bad and can screw up the test.  I dont know if this is it if all of your tests are coming up bad but it might not be a bad idea to take your water somewhere else to have it tested.  Hope everything works out.

did you ever think it could be a faulty test kit or you could be reading the samples wrong? just a suggestion, get your friend to test the water too

Archived