Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

worm? softie? algae?

glazer

Well I looked at a billion pictures of worms,fan/tube and so on...no luck. So since we have this forum now why not take advantage of it... maybe you could at least let me know what type of lifeform I should start searching for... here we go, never saw this before, what is it?

Just above the fan worm is a perfectly shaped five-pointed star thingie... is does not appear to be growing out of a tube or hole but instead attached to the rock, and it's definitely growing, has almost doubled in size in a week. It does not retract when touched, just closes in on itself, into a little white bump. It's translucent and in the center of the perfectly shaped star is a round "cone/fan" (why I think or thought it was a worm) that protrudes slightly farther out than the main "body"... best pic I could get of it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Aw come on guys....*whine* It's like, growing and stuff.

Actually the "five-pointed star" shape became mucho multi pointed and then as of this morn it has now split into three um, things.

If yer all snickering because I am the ONLY one that doesn't know what it/they are I here by freely admit my "reeftardness". Now tell what it is and ya can all chuckle about it, heh heh.

nope fly... no tube, I swear. It/they will close up (like a zoo do) if touched or disturbed... but there is no hole or tube that they retract in to.

unfortunately the pic is blurry so all I get when I stare at it is a headache. that and I think I see a bat. You sure it isn't some underwater rohrschack (spelling Waaay off) test? Tunicate would be my guess as well. I had an odd sponge or tunicate like growth for a awhile that grew geometrically and was two different colors. It has since been overrun by algae and is barely visible but it grew out in a similar patters. mine didn't retract when touched and actually didn't feel like anything other than rock but it sure did grow in a similar pattern.

Alien life form perhaps.

*camera pulls back* ACK! it's still blurry, waaaaaaa. I have no clue how to get a better pic of these things... my guess is since I can get a clear pic of everything around them EXCEPT for them the fact they are mostly clear is throwing the camera off... well that's prolly a load a donkey doo but it's what I'm going with.

Sorry ya got a headache Crak...

It doesn't look like a tunicate, you would be able to discern intake and outflow valves.

If it doesn't change shape (daily), respond to light, or have tentacles, my guess is a sponge. WHat does it feel like?

It does change shape... well it/they open and close... like a polyp.

They do respond to light... tried a pic with the flash they closed up real quick. And yes, and I know the pic sucks big time... around the edges there is minute little tentacles.

As far as what they feel like... well I can't really say.. they are touch and movement sensitive so when I put a finger on, hell near even they close up. Then it just feels like um, er, little smooth um bump kinda things.... like the rock uh, has a zit. *ewww, bleh bleh, ewww*

*camera pulls back* ACK! it's still blurry, waaaaaaa. I have no clue how to get a better pic of these things...

May I suggest a tripod or something solid to rest you camara on if you are not using one. This may clear up your pictures. hand held low light and slow shutter speed make for blurry pics.

Fahz

Archived