Pod Your Reef

clownfish feeding

darkwaterdevil

Yes, my clowns are freaking pigs. They will eat until their bellies are completely full and spilling out of their mouths. 30 minutes later, they will want to eat again. I would say just feed them once a day and let them beg.

Since we’re on the topic of clowns, how does everyone feel about proraptor’s image? I just saw the movie - the devil’s rejects and man that movie is sick!!!!

OK, on a serious note, how does everyone feel about placing a False Percula Clown in a six gallon NC with around 7 – 8 pounds of LR? I’m assuming it’s pushing it.

is it normal for it to want to eat all the time?

Yes they do like to eat all the time.

The trick to keeping them healthy and normal sized is to just feed a very small amount a couple of times per day.

Clowns can get larger in our tanks than they would in the wild if you over feed (just like African cichlids) and over feeding can cause other unwanted problems, like algae blooms.

OK, on a serious note, how does everyone feel about placing a False Percula Clown in a six gallon NC with around 7 – 8 pounds of LR? I’m assuming it’s pushing it.

Igreens Fish Stocking Guide For Nano Tanks says it’s A-OK

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=74703&hl=guide

In the wild Clowns eat little bits of food all day long. They are constant feeders. That is for the most part not viable in a small aquarium. There are down sides to feeding one large meal every day ot two, just like its more healthy to eat lots of small meals through out the day as opposed to a few large meals.

If you every watch your clown when feeding you will notice that it will start to expell wastes very shortly after starting to feed. This is becsue they have a very inefficient digestive system and thus the need to feed all day long. Feeding them one large meal every day or two will in essence decreese the amount of nutrients they can use, or so it seems from what I have read.

Yes they do like to eat all the time.

The trick to keeping them healthy and normal sized is to just feed a very small amount a couple of times per day.

Clowns can get larger in our tanks than they would in the wild if you over feed (just like African cichlids) and over feeding can cause other unwanted problems, like algae blooms.

Igreens Fish Stocking Guide For Nano Tanks says it’s A-OK

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=74703&hl=guide

Thanks Rick

I came across this link before. It’s actually not recommended to keep them in a 6g NC and or a 6g CPR’s. The reason I’m asking was just to get additional feedback. I guess even if it could be done its kind off inhuman.

If anyone has any experience with these fish using such tanks, I’d be curios to know what your experience was like.

Thanks!

Archived