Cultivated Reef

whats the dumbest thing....

Iveman

im sure a very high percentage of us got into the hobby because of what we saw at the lfs THAT DAY. alot of us probably ran out and bought a tank just to keep that awesome little fish/coral we saw and didnt know they had requirements that had to be met. or maybe we wanted to recreate the nemo tank for our kids and wondered why Bloat ate half his friends. hopefully this thread will give new/potential hobbiest a list of what NOT to do.

ill go first.

i once found a small clump of clams while fishing in the bay here in florida. took em home and put them in my tank. wiped everything out in a matter of days.

When I was 12 I caught several green eels while fishing and put them in a 10 gallon tank making my own seawater out of table salt. The next day the eels had slithered out of the tank onto the floor, my mom was screaming and my room smelled like the hold of a tuna trawler... of course I was only 12. (my family still talks about it to this day)

theres already a thread on this.. with lots of posts, just search "dummest thing you ever did" or something

no, the other threrad, is "things that hurt the most in my tannk" my dubmest thing.........

feed my freinds lionfish by hand, and get my right ring finger shmashed in half (litterally) by a 7.5"peacock mantis shrimp

no, the other threrad, is "things that hurt the most in my tannk" my dubmest thing.........

feed my freinds lionfish by hand, and get my right ring finger shmashed in half (litterally) by a 7.5"peacock mantis shrimp

OUCH!!! Did you cry?

The dumbest thing I ever did was try to "fix" a nice 15 gallon tall tank while it was full. The fixing turned into a crack that ran two feet from the top to the bottom and about 10 gallons of water on the floor. In the end there were few casualties thanks to a friend that was there to help save stuff, but it was pretty stupid none the less.

Dumbest thing I bout was an "Atlantic" anemone. Didn't realize that was another name for a condy.

Archived