Cultivated Reef

adding new rock to cycled tank?

Spliffstar

I have a nano 24 with 15 pounds of lr.. the tank has been cycling for about three weeks now and all the levels are perfect. Its no big deal to add rock is it? is there anything i should know.. Next week i was going to add first fish, can i add new rock and fish togeather, should i add rock and then wait? oh, and does it matter that i have my arm in the tank all the damn time?... i've been moving the rock around alot trying to get it right... thanks guys, bare with me, im so clueless with this stuff..

If you add uncured rock to a cycled tank, you can cause another small cycle. This could be small depending on the amount that you're adding.

You should add the rock and wait on the fish.

Bluemorningwind

It depends on the quantity and quality of the rock.

Providing that your system has a viable culture of nitrobacs, then they will cope with small amounts of rock being introduced providing the rock isn't covered in die off.

I add small amounts of rock to my tank regularly and it's really no different to adding a fish or two.

Think of the rock as fish and you should be fine. That is, you need to be sensible and not add too much at one time and allow time for the tank to adjust. Also, be careful/fussy about the rocks that you buy.

Or you cure the rock in a bucket w/ a small heater, PH and regular water changes. You don't have to light it at all. Wait for it to cycle and it's all good.

Bluemorningwind

If there isn't much die off, there isn't a need for curing.

Smell the rock before you but it. It shouldn't smell much at all. A little like the sea, but not that putrid smell. Take it straight home and you shouldn't have any problems in the future.

However, you will need to cure/cycle if it smells bad.

Archived