Cultivated Reef

Algae During Cycling

Kingfet

So I refuse to check my parameters until 4 weeks after my LR has been in the tank. I do have a quick question. From your experience when algae begins to develop on your glass how far along is the tank usually cycled?

SaltwaterGoldfish?

I used 20lbs of live sand and 14 of live rock when I started my 12 gallon... I never was able to detect any ammonia/nitrite... just my experience though... (I also dont have any fish in there)...

I think I started getting diatoms after about a week... I'm just now (2 months) getting a little cyano... but I overfeed CoralPlankton

there's also BioSpira by Marineland... I use it at my LFS and it works wonders... but theres nothign wrong with waiting... patience is a virtue they say

I am sorry were you saying that when you got your algae your tank was already pretty well cycled???

The reason I asked is in the past I was almost obsessive compulsive about keeping my glass clean and would clean it everyday even durring cycling. Its also been a year a and a half since I cycled one.

my worst algae formed on the glass around 4th or 5th week. I think it took me to 6 weeks to get it all trimmed out.

I used Bacter Vital on my second tank and the alge sprung up on week 2.5.

SaltwaterGoldfish?
I am sorry were you saying that when you got your algae your tank was already pretty well cycled???

The reason I asked is in the past I was almost obsessive compulsive about keeping my glass clean and would clean it everyday even durring cycling. Its also been a year a and a half since I cycled one.

ya... my tank cycled immediately... I started adding inverts within 3 days of setting it up and never had any problems...

from what I can tell, the cycling that effects algae more is gonna be silicates and phosphorus in the tank... diatoms will bloom until the silica runs out... then as your phosphorus levels rise from adding food, your green algae should bloom... then calcareous algaes should grow over time... I say that one hypothetically, as I have yet to get them in my tank...

i'd say just check your ammonia/nitrite after a few days... if nothing is showing up you could start stocking (lightly)

Archived