Coral Vue Hydros

12 NC DX Crack?

Mikeaveli21

Hey guys,

I was running some tests (FW water/temp) on a new 12 nc dx and noticed a small scratch/crack(?) on the right upper corner. Unfortunately, I had read about the cracking issues after the tank had been ordered and paid for. Knowing what I know now, I would have gone another way.

Anyhow my question is...Is it a scratch or crack? I can only feel it on the outside and it's about an inch long and has a small gap between it.

If it's a crack... Am I pretty much doomed? or is there a way to salvage it? (i.e. some sort of glue/epoxy etc..)

If it's a scratch...what's the likelihood it will progress. Like I said, it's only on the outside surface.

Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated.

darkwaterdevil

if its a scrach take a propain torch to it back onf forth a few times not staying there too long so it doesnt melt it will make the scrach almost disapear

is it curvy, or a strait line...if its curvy like how you see an earthquake separate/crack, its a crack, and get a new one...if its strait like a pencil its just a scratch!

thanks for the quick responses.

It is on the corner and in a straight line. But the straight line has interuptions with2 normal non scratched/cracked regions within it. I doubt I can take a pic of it, since it's so thin.

How long should I watch it before adding any lr/ls?

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

well unfortunatly u can't be surprised! regardless if it is a scratch or a crack...I wouldn't set it up if u paid me to do it. Junk it and go buy a 20 gal or 10 gal, some type of regular tank, cuzz after u set this up and get it cycled then add corals, even if it doesn't crack, ull have no piece of mind, cuzz ull be sitting there wondering when its gonna happen!!!! and after all the money u have in the live stock. A regular tank is going to have a lot more versatility anyway, those cubes have a lot of limits and probs, heat, lighting, flow and so on.

well unfortunatly u can't be surprised! regardless if it is a scratch or a crack...I wouldn't set it up if u paid me to do it. Junk it and go buy a 20 gal or 10 gal, some type of regular tank, cuzz after u set this up and get it cycled then add corals, even if it doesn't crack, ull have no piece of mind, cuzz ull be sitting there wondering when its gonna happen!!!! and after all the money u have in the live stock. A regular tank is going to have a lot more versatility anyway, those cubes have a lot of limits and probs, heat, lighting, flow and so on.

Ya i'm pretty ###ed at this point regardless of what it is. I'm going to watch it for a little and have some sort of back up prepared. I can't do anything much larger at the moment.

Anyone think a scratch (if that's even what it is) would evolve into a crack?

ahhh I don't want to be a 2006 12 g nc dx statistic!!!

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER
Ya i'm pretty ###ed at this point regardless of what it is. I'm going to watch it for a little and have some sort of back up prepared. I can't do anything much larger at the moment.

Anyone think a scratch (if that's even what it is) would evolve into a crack?

ahhh I don't want to be a 2006 12 g nc dx statistic!!!

the only honerable thing to do is dump it on ebay and go buy a 10 aga or similar. Id have to sit down and add it up, is it really that much more to build a 10gal, have a plywood canopy with retro lighting on it??

the only honerable thing to do is dump it on ebay and go buy a 10 aga or similar. Id have to sit down and add it up, is it really that much more to build a 10gal, have a plywood canopy with retro lighting on it??

Yeh at this point I think I'm just gonna try to get another tank. 10 aga is an option as well as the aquapod. I've heard good things about those tanks.

Anyone know where I can get an aquapod directly? A bunch of websites I saw had them on pre-order only. Thanks again .

if its a scrach take a propain torch to it back onf forth a few times not staying there too long so it doesnt melt it will make the scrach almost disapear

I dont think a propain torch is hot enough to melt glass or even fix a scratch.

Sorry, buddy. I got cracks in my 2006 12 gallon DX this Saturday. They were also really small and could only really be felt from the outside. I was going to let them go until I noticed another crack starting the next day. My cube was made in 12/2005 and I know another 2006 model cubed that cracked was made in that month too. When was yours made?

As for options . . . I took pictures and emailed them into JBJ and they're processing my warranty claim right now. You'll need to find a way to take pictures if you want to do the same. If you can't do that and want to wait it out, I know nanotuners sells replacement tank for our size at about $50 so you can get the spare ahead of time, though they're out of stock right now.

I've been debating getting the Aquapod, but I've been reading posts of them cracking as well, and you're only the 4th 2006 NC I've heard of cracking now. But last I checked Aquabuys had the 12 gallon AP for $129.

Since I'm not in a position to get a tank that isn't self-contained and covered (cats)I think I'm going to stick with my NC (assuming the warranty department sends me a replacement) or get the AP.

Ars

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

Why does everybody seem to keep jumping to these cubes aquapods and so on??? I dont get it, i think the jbj 12dx is like 150 or 200 bucks right??

It has lighting, filtration, and the tank, thats it.

so run a price list.

20g aga....30?

24" 2x 55W Compact Fluorescent Retrofit Kit..125. hellolights.

filter....35.

total=190

now u have a tank thats bigger, able to built a plywood canopy, install a fan...no heat issues. More water flow without the limits because of heat.

if the cost of LR is an issue, the 20 will work just fine with the same amount of rock as the 12dx.

No way can I add it up that would make me buy a jbj or aquapod!!! I don't see why a number of people keep buying these defects...its disaster before u even get started.

As for the post about the warrantee claim....will you get anywere??? last I heard jbj just leaves you hanging??

I hate things like this that keep people from successfully getting into reefing, a lot of people just quit after they loose all due to a crack, or they wish they went the other way, and after they do they spent a lot more money than if they just bought a normal tank!!!

Its unfortunate that the people that are subjected to this, are the people that are new to the hobby without a lot of money and therefore are more subject to quit due to failure. The problem started at their first step, choosing a tank, then from there its just down hill.

its like building a sky scraper, if the foundation is weak, ull get nowere.

Archived