Cultivated Reef

shrinking schrooms

Colmane73

Anyone know why my schrooms would be shrinking? i have notice they dont get as big as they used too..... is there something off in my water that im not finding that would make them shrink?

c

ya

printerdown01

Good call cam! Iodine will improve the health of your shrooms (I guess you can infer that a lack of iodine would cause negative health effects). Have you been stirring up stuff in the tank? Do you have crabs that run over the tops of them? AND most likely: do you have any new corals (perhaps one with sweepers)?

**Just went back and did a search for threads that you had stared, and discovered that you have bubble coral... These guys will produce sweepers! Are the shrooms down stream of the bubble, perhaps at perfect distance to be stung by the bubble's sweepers? ...Sometimes shrooms will not expand as well for apparently no reason at all... but when an entire colony does not expand, there is normally a problem...

(Edited by printerdown01 at 6:49 pm on May 21, 2002)

I would have your water tested BEFORE adding any trace elements to your tank. And because there is no afordable accurate Iodine test kit for the hobby I wouldn't add Iodine as your salt and foods have enough many times over.

HTH,

Toy

printerdown01

Exelent point toyfreak! Try and find a reading of your salt content on the internet! If the iodine level is high, you shouldn't add iodine... -Toy is right, my iodine is already very high, just because of my salt mix...

just wondering if u had your levels tested umm also some times shrooms are weird some times they half open some times they are big, small  some times any little ajustmet of current or  light can cause a change in the way they  open and behave cam

(Edited by Cam barr at 5:05 pm on May 21, 2002)

second2n0ne

Levels?  Please post your tank params...if your shrooms do not look healthy, you may have a serious problem.  Shrooms are known to be very hardy so if something is affecting them, then other tank inhabitants are likely to follow.

good point yea get your h2o tested and if somps wrong wit them iys usally a good indacater that somps wrong how long has the tank benn set up are u doing water changes what kind of light post specks too what other livestock is in there too

ksatterwhite

I lost all my mushrooms in my 30 gallon one time.  We finally decided that it was from a salinity spike.  Don't ask how that happened.  I never figured that out.  I didn't have to top off very often, and when I did, it was always fresh water.  Anyway, that my 2 cents worth.

Keith

the reason i knew somthin was up with my tank was my shrooms they were closed i tested my water and it had ammona close to 4 have no clue why it happend i posted it under my tank is crashing

cam

Archived