Coral Vue Hydros

LFS in Los Angeles area

roxy25

Thatdog, Dave is really good, and also Brett or Kyle are both very helpful. Mention to them that you are on this site and they get really excited most of the time and if you have a thread on your tank and they have some time they will most likely check it out. I use them almost exclusively (although I check other places just to see what's out there, but nothing really beats these guys ever). Warning though, they are closed mondays and wednesdays.

I did forget to mention Aquarium city which is a very short drive from vivid aquariums, and not a bad place to check, good deal on frags a lot of times.

These are what I have found decent to mention, so I didn't include all, but it should help.

EDIT: I will need to check out jeffs exotic fish in Gardena (although a bit far for a random check, I'll have to plan to do this soomeday), I've been to their store in costa mesa (my girlfriend is down that way) which is really nice and helpful, abeit a bit pricey for some stuff.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding Jeff's in Gardena, as someone else alluded to it's a warehouse, so it's not just a basic setup but basic in terms of livestock as well. You won't find the latest, greatest radioactive zoa or hard to find brightly colored SPS stick there. Mostly just basic starter coral. It is the place to go, however, for dry goods as their prices are the same as their website.

Keep in mind that a bunch of online vendors either have a B&M presence or allow for pick up. Fragfarmer, Fraggle Reef and Reef Hot Spot come to mind.

I definitely third (or whatever the count is) the Vivid Aquarium recommendation. Another etailer gone B&M. I'd also check out Passion of the Sea in Rowland Heights for some hard to find stuff. Tat's and Tong's are great for window shopping but that's about it.

thatdog2202
Thatdog, Dave is really good, and also Brett or Kyle are both very helpful.

Mini GBR, I agree Brett and Kyle are very helpful as well. Kyle helped me with a very nice DIY surface skimmer for my 3g PicoTope. Again Vivid Aquariums awesome!

then I went to Fumi;s tropical fish on pico today and WOW the whole store was HORRIBLE.

Good ol Fumis. That place sux. Their coral inventory is horrible. So you are a local Roxy. I used to go there when I started reefing and when I didn't know of other stores. They have great damnsels though, lol.

Wow I cant believ noone has mentioned Jeffs yet (I know I didnt either but that was awhile ago). Roxy, I strongly encourage you to visit Jeffs Exoctic Fish in Gardena ( http://www.exoticfish.com/ ). I highly doubt you will be dissapointed, but let me tell you this before. This is not a store, it is a warehouse for their internet buissness. So there are no pretty decorations or anything. But that being said, they have great livestock, great employees, great service.

I have been in jeffs before and loved it

man I have to bus it lol so all these far places I will not be able to go to them yet

you know what I tried to go to Tong's yesterday on the bus. I got off and couldn't find it lol. I went in this mini mart plaza and was seeing if it was there but then I saw a WHOLE bunch of bums hanging around. I was like F@$k this and left . when I got on the bus I saw where it was ( the direction the bums where lol) so today I am going again lol

I forgot to say tongs on vermont is cool actually. the out side is HORRIBLE but the inside is good!.

He had nice healthy fish and all finds of cool fish! .

he also had these nano cube type tanks for a lot less I think a 24 gallon was like $116 ( don't quoted me on that) there where good prices in my opinion

I forgot to say tongs on vermont is cool actually. the out side is HORRIBLE but the inside is good!.

Geez Roxy you seem to go to all the LFS I go to. You are right Tongs on Vernon and Vermont is super ghetto but "T" does have nice stuff in there. Not to mention veyr well priced.

Geez Roxy you seem to go to all the LFS I go to. You are right Tongs on Vernon and Vermont is super ghetto but "T" does have nice stuff in there. Not to mention veyr well priced.

whenever i'm there i always check my car outside every 5 minutes -_-

lol. Me too. You are in K-town right EZ?

LOL I wouldn't go that far !

lol. Me too. You are in K-town right EZ?

I am in korea town also

when I was mobile I went to all kinds of LFS.

when I went to Apex I was discusted, but I haven't been there for years.

LOL I wouldn't go that far !

I am in korea town also

when I was mobile I went to all kinds of LFS.

when I went to Apex I was discusted, but I haven't been there for years.

Ahh very cool to know there is people right around my neck of the woods. We shall meet one day at Tongs with our bulletproof vests, lol.

Ahh very cool to know there is people right around my neck of the woods. We shall meet one day at Tongs with our bulletproof vests, lol.

:haha:

if you don't mind me asking what streets do you live on ?

that would be funny if you lived around the block !

:haha:

if you don't mind me asking what streets do you live on ?

that would be funny if you lived around the block !

Oh I live in the ghetto. On MLK. Close to Broadway. Yes, ghetto.

Oh I live in the ghetto. On MLK. Close to Broadway. Yes, ghetto.

ummm are you sure you live in k-town?

I am positive that K-town stops around wilshire and alverado or even sooner.

you live like past my job which is Los Angeles superior. its on hill and 1st

I live on 5th and catalina

ummm are you sure you live in k-town?

I am positive that K-town stops around wilshire and alverado or even sooner.

you live like past my job which is Los Angeles superior. its on hill and 1st

I live on 5th and catalina

No no I dont live in K-town. EZ does. I was asking him to confirm he lived there. Hope that didn't cause a confusion, lol.

No no I dont live in K-town. EZ does. I was asking him to confirm he lived there. Hope that didn't cause a confusion, lol.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lol

my bad

Joxer the Mighty
I live a couple miles from PTF, and it's not too shabby. (Snip)

The staff is pretty helpful, so that's cool. The owner kinda rubbed me the wrong way my initial visits to there, but once you get talking with him he's an alright guy, and pretty darn knowledgeable as well. They have several nice reef tanks set up there as well.

Heh heh...funny you should mention that. I get all my stuff at PTF and also thought the owner was a bit standoffish the first couple times I was there, but he really is a cool helpful guy. I like their big vat of live rock, I've seen some very nice pieces in there. Nothing beats being able to pick out your LR in person.

Heh heh...funny you should mention that. I get all my stuff at PTF and also thought the owner was a bit standoffish the first couple times I was there, but he really is a cool helpful guy. I like their big vat of live rock, I've seen some very nice pieces in there. Nothing beats being able to pick out your LR in person.

Agreed, though the stuff in the smaller tanks near the koi vats is much nicer rock than in the vats I think. But I got pieces from both. I was skeptical about PTF's rock at first, but only took a week and a half to cycle in my Aquapod, so I'm very satisfied. :)

• 1 month later...

Well I just came back from two aquarium shops and couldn't find a true perc. clownfish

do any of you guys know where I can get one and how much am I looking at ?

thanks again

Well I just came back from two aquarium shops and couldn't find a true perc. clownfish

do any of you guys know where I can get one and how much am I looking at ?

thanks again

Have you checked Tongs, either location? Also I'd imagine Jeff's in Torrance would have some as I plan to get my pearly jawfish from there soon ( www.exoticfish.com for contact info) and also check PetCo, I've seen 2 so far 9the only 2 I've been to) that sell them as well and they always look healthy and only $15.99 last time I saw...

ReefApprentice

Tongs in Fountain Valley is INSANE!!! Go there if you want some insane colors and rare LPS, zoas or shrooms.

sorry Cesar i just saw that now!

yes i live in K-town! Elden and Olympic to be exact ;)

edit: Roxy, u can try vivid aquariums, u have to drive up the 101 around 25 minutes or so. i got my true perc there for my 6 gallon yesterday :) almost Onyx!

edit edit: there is a place in Santa Monica Blvd, i forgot the name but if you hit Santa Monica Blvd from K-town then start driving West, its there, its before West Hollywood so its not that far...Thai people run that place, they have TONS of true percs there at 15$. they also have nudibranches and dragonnettes if u want ;)

ezcompany, are you talking about Yo Aquarium or Oranda?

Roxy, you can always try Reef Hot Spot, but it's off Pico by the 405.

Anybody have the names and locations of the Fish stores in K Town?

ezcompany, are you talking about Yo Aquarium or Oranda?

Roxy, you can always try Reef Hot Spot, but it's off Pico by the 405.

Anybody have the names and locations of the Fish stores in K Town?

There's a pretty helpful aquarium store locator website that basically lists nearly all of the LFSs in pretty much any area where people register them (customers or owners), and of course LA has the most listings. Helped me discover an LFS only 2 blocks from me that I never knew about. :)

thanks phixion

hello to all my K-town people :D

you are not going to find any in K-town except for 2 crappy looking stores lol

I bought me an onyx and a regular perc . I will post pics this weekend in my thread.

Man its a long story that happened between two clowns that loved each other LMAO more of the story in my thread

Archived