Top Shelf Aquatics

Little Plate Coral? Need opinions..

c est ma

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

hey diane, i had a group of those on one of my rocks (along time back) i found the thread, but the pic's dont work and the link to the actual coral no longer works. i cant remember the actual name of the coral, but there are a few guesses that were close.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...topic=60384&hl=

and look what just showed up in the id forum

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...pe=post&id=6953

Hey, Icy and Gili, thanks for the replies!

Darn, I wish your pictures were still available, Icy. Thanks much for pointing me to the interesting threads. I'm beginning to think there are maybe more than one spp involved amongst us, huh?, with some seeming to be more colonial when fixed to rock, mine seeming to be solitary, and Gili's staying attached for so long...

And regarding the new ID pic--man, these little polyps with clearish, white-tipped tentacles are getting confusing. You notice from my pics that mine looked very similar while it was on the rock...cup corals, tube corals, baby plates...? So fascinating.

Gili, your picture and story are so interesting! I've been looking at lots of Fungiid articles online but haven't heard about one that remains attached for so long. Do you spot feed yours?

All in all I wonder how many undescribed spp are showing up in the reef trade?...

Thanks again,

--Diane

PS: Icy, that doesn't seem like so long ago. Did yours die out?

--Diane

Darn, I wish your pictures were still available, Icy. Thanks much for pointing me to the interesting threads. I'm beginning to think there are maybe more than one spp involved amongst us, huh?, with some seeming to be more colonial when fixed to rock, mine seeming to be solitary, and Gili's staying attached for so long...

And regarding the new ID pic--man, these little polyps with clearish, white-tipped tentacles are getting confusing. You notice from my pics that mine looked very similar while it was on the rock...cup corals, tube corals, baby plates...? So fascinating.

Gili, your picture and story are so interesting! I've been looking at lots of Fungiid articles online but haven't heard about one that remains attached for so long. Do you spot feed yours?

All in all I wonder how many undescribed spp are showing up in the reef trade?...

Thanks again,

--Diane

--Diane

hello again!

I wasnt sure if what I have was a plate coral until I saw your pics - Now im pretty sure it is. Im still wondering when its going to detach, perhaps the lack of food ive given it has prevented it from wanting to detach, cant be sure... I havent spot fed anything in my tank [yet], infact I hadnt even been properly feeding anything in the tank for 5mths, I just started using phytofeast and since i did regularly 2weeks ago my goni and galaxia dont seem very happy, and my firefish dissapeared yesterday too :(. At the same time, without spot feeding the little plate coral has grown over twice in size in abt 4mths, and everything is exibiting colour-improvement and growth, so im assuming i have a pretty dirty tank!

Im going to get some cyclopeeze tomorrow and see how things react to it as it sounds like the go..

Gili,

From what I've read, different species behave differently. Yours doesn't seem to have the faint radial stripes mine does, and looks slightly different. But it could be just a developmental thing, too. Sounds as if yours is growing just fine! I had been feeding mine cyclopeeze since I discovered it, but partly because at the beginning I thought it was an azooxanthellate cup coral! Oh, well, it liked its meals, and wasn't in a great position to get a lot of light anyway... :)

One thing, though, it sounds like once yours does detach, the attachment spot will continue to produce new corals! I've gotten a few more responses on the coral forum thread, and posted a link there to a Marine Depot thread I started as well, if you're interested.

Also if you're interested, here are a few links I've collected lately on Fungiids:

http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/0897/0897_1.html

http://waquarium.otted.hawaii.edu/MLP/sear...om%5Fcoral.html

http://atlas.drpez.org/album255

http://wetwebfotos.com/Home?actionRequest=...w&articleID=297

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fungiidae.htm

Probably TMI!

Keep me posted about yours.

--Diane

One thing, though, it sounds like once yours does detach, the attachment spot will continue to produce new corals! I've gotten a few more responses on the coral forum thread, and posted a link there to a Marine Depot thread I started as well, if you're interested.

True story. I had a baby plate, dime-sized, that popped itself off the rock (had grown about 30% to that size), and the barely-noticeable chalky mark grew into a whole 'nother plate a few weeks later! A-mazing, for sure.

Great story! Flo, you're the one who encouraged newbie me to touch this little guy 5 months ago to see if he was a hard coral or a softie. I've learned so much since then!

Regarding the newly detached little guys--how well do they fare? I've still got mine in his little cup for now--seems like he'd get lost in the tank and/or get buried with the invert action...I know they've gotta survive in the wild, and I can tell it's tough from what it's been through so far, but I'm hesitant to just let it go when its so small...

--Diane

They do well, but, yes, that's the biggest problem with them--they get lost in the tank! You could try keeping him in some kind of container within the tank until he's larger. Mine got lost within the rocks. I found its skeleton while dismantling the 30, heh. At least I still have his sprouted clone in my current nano. :)

Oh, good, that's just what I was thinking. Keeping it in some little watch glass or such for a while, something tall enough to contain it but shallow enough that any invert that crawled in could get out again...

Cool that you still have the lineage going in your nano.

--Diane

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

Thanks again,

--Diane

--Diane

i lost the frag in the tank. it was a collection of 5 skeletons (1/4" each) looked just like the cup coral or small plate. the group of 5 were as large as my finger nail and it fell into a hole in one of my pieces of lr. the coral itself looked very much like your single coral in your photo.

when i found these anemonies in my tank, i thought i had more. these look similar, but without the skeleton.

obviously not the same.

post-14938-1140390315_thumb.jpg

post-14938-1140390447_thumb.jpg

Icy, those were your Corynactis, right? I LOVE those pics. You get so many great hitch hikers!

Gili, I visited your gallery and loved all the pics, esp the ones of the little plate. That latest one is spectacular--I printed it out on photo paper and it turned out very well. I can't believe that shot of it eating a bristle worm--how lucky you were to catch that! (BTW, you had me confused for a while, using different names in the gallery and forums... :) )

I'm sure your plate will love the cyclopeeze but it's certainly been growing well without direct feeding.

--Diane

Archived