Innovative Marine Aquariums

why does my rock have teeth?

Spliffstar

ok, cycling my first reef and noticed there is a weird creature living in a small rock in my tank. it is wedged into a crevice in a rock like it is part of the rock. swear to god its got teeth. an upper and lower row. it can actually open and close the crevise a bit. i dont know if it is capable of leaving the rock or not. this then looks freaky. ill be honest, im scared to sleep at night in fear that its going to get out of the tank and eat me. so what is this thing? is it dangerous to other tank inhabitants. i cant beleave it has teeth. main question is, should i get rid of it? here is a bad pic, but u can get an idea. u cant see the teeth, but trust me, they're in there. thanks...

rock1.bmp

my friend had something similar.

It ended up being some kind of mollusk type of creature.

What we thought were "teeth" were just undulations in the inner part of the shell.

Pic isn't too clear....but it looks like some type of oyster, muscle or something of the like. I have a little oyster type thing that has been on my rocks for over a year now...havn't grown much in that time, but i think its still alive.

I have some bivalve that doesn't look "toothy," just like a gray stripe in the live rock. If it didn't open and close (tight, so that the gray completely disappears) I wouldn't even know it was there. But since I've discovered it, I think it's a cool hitch hiker:

dscn3652mediumbox6dz.jpg

--Diane

I have some bivalve that doesn't look "toothy," just like a gray stripe in the live rock. If it didn't open and close (tight, so that the gray completely disappears) I wouldn't even know it was there. But since I've discovered it, I think it's a cool hitch hiker:

dscn3652mediumbox6dz.jpg

--Diane

Sounds like a Bivalve - Good filter feeders - Some have a crenulated shell for water flow movement and shell alignment, some have several interior and exterior muscles and smooth shells, some bore into rock/wood, some are sessile/fixed some are pelagic - blah blah blah - I had to learn all about bivalves in palaeontology class - they are a fascinating species.

Archived