Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Setting up!

Nano242

:D Well I just got done filling my tank up!! When I put the water in it was only like 72 degrees and the salinity was 1.017...now the temp is up to 78 degrees and and salinity is 1.020 It is still going up a little. Can I use the dechlorameter I use in my freshwater tank?? The water is distilled...I am going to buy live rock and sand this weekend!! How long will the cycle take if the rock is already cured ect? I cant decide what fish ect. to put in. I like the blue damsels,domino damsels,and striped damsels, also I like the clownfish..what species of clown do you recomend? Are Tomato's OK?? What would you stock in my tank out of those?? Any others?? Thanks!

Nano242,

Welcome aboard. I'm a new to marine nanos myself (tank up and running for almost a week). The best advice I can give you is to read this entire thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54602

It's got everything you need to know (and then some) for the newbie!! I cannot recommend it enoough--and steelhealr (the thread's author) has done more to help newbies than anyone...you won't regret the time it takes to read the entire thread and you will be off to the best possible start!

Good luck!

I would recommend using R/O water, you can usually get it from a LFS or supermarket. Also with Live rock and Live sand, it should only take a few weeks, usually go at least three, if its a short drive home. Dont do water changes durring that period. I would skip the shells.

The damsels are very pretty, however they are very aggressive and very difficult to remove from the tank if you decide to get rid of one. They are good for cycling a tank, but like I said, once your done cycling and you want to get rid of them, they are difficult to remove. It is up to you, you could put a clown, which are very hardy fish, or a goby. I have had two healthy clowns in my 12g nano for a year and they are still going strong...money well spent.

:D Well I just got done filling my tank up!! When I put the water in it was only like 72 degrees and the salinity was 1.017...now the temp is up to 78 degrees and and salinity is 1.020 It is still going up a little. Can I use the dechlorameter I use in my freshwater tank?? The water is distilled...I am going to buy live rock and sand this weekend!! How long will the cycle take if the rock is already cured ect? I cant decide what fish ect. to put in. I like the blue damsels,domino damsels,and striped damsels, also I like the clownfish..what species of clown do you recomend? Are Tomato's OK?? What would you stock in my tank out of those?? Any others?? Thanks!

Ok..well could 2 clowns(what species is the best??)and a damsel be ok?? Is that to much?? I heard the all blue damsel and domino damsels are not as agressive? Is this true?? thanks alot!

ocellaris clowns are probably among th hardiest varieties, and as for the damsels, IME, the blue were the least aggressive and the dang dominos tried to kill all the other damsels.

Clowns and damsels are conspecifics. I would not recommend adding both to a nano tank. They're fine if they'r ein a larger tank where they can each scout-out and claim a territory, but in a nano they will constantly picking at one another. (probably)

Well I got my Liverock and substrate today!! I went to the LFS think that 1lb of rock is going to be a couple of peices..WRONG!! I got one peice that was about 5 inches long and about 2 inches high and deep. It cost me 18$ for one peice of liverock. The LFS recomended this substrate they use..it is kind of like crushed coral but smaller peices. It took me 1 hour to clean it!!! I rinsed it untill it looked like dusty water. I put it in the tank and it has been set-up for about 3 hours and still is couldy..it is clearing up alot though. The man there has about 20 Saltwater tanks and he said if there is any peice of liverock you want I will weigh it for you...So I had alot to choose from. The peice I got has ALOT of holes and caves in it. There is green/purple/red/white/brown spots of algae on the rock. On one side of the rock there is a little thing..it looks like a strand of grass. What could it be? On some peices of rock in the tanks there was corals on it but I figured my lighting would kill it. I am going to go buy more rock this week. When could I start putting a few hermits or snails in?? Thanks alot!

ClowningAround

i can see them, you might want to get some more LR...maybe 1lb-1.5lbs per gallon is what i have seen used the most on here. Deffintaly use the reverse osmossis water(get it at a supermarket for like 99c, it will say purified by RO) be patient with it all :) :), good luck

yes you can see your pictures. Looks like that may not be enough rock though.

As far as that coral goes...I guess you just got it for decoration? bleached! Maybe it will get incrusted with coraline aglea.

Archived