Top Shelf Aquatics

Lighting question...

Jenny

Good evening all...or should I say, good early morning! Anyways, I'm really confused about lighting from reading so much lately. I have a 55 gallon, but it's not the norm long, tall and narrow 55 gallon. I'm not sure of the exact measurements at this moment, but i know it's 30" long (same as a standard 29er). I'm looking to eventually only keep low to moderate light corals and such. What would be the best total wattage to go with, and can anyone recommend a specific brand or light fixture. I've been looking around and maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I haven't found much that's 30" w/ enough wattage. Will I have to combine multiple light fixtures? Any help would be greatly appreciated! If my exact tank measurements will help, please let me know and I'll go measure! Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! So, about 130 watts would be enough to theoretically keep low to moderate light corals in a 55 gallon? Or would I need to get 2 fixtures to up the wattage? I noticed that mostly everyone's suggestions were PC's which is what I've been looking at lately, but I recently read that PC's aren't always great for deeper tanks. Does it make a difference that my tank is about 24 inches deep? My exact measurements are 30L x 18W x 24.5H, and I have about a 2 inch sandbed. Thanks again for the feedback! :D

You'd be better of w/ MH because of the depth, but, anything will work fine. Youl'll just have to keep some of the more light needy corals towards the top 10-15 inches.

if you have a canopy try three 30" PC retrofit kits, i believe they're 64W each and only 5" wide, that will give you plenty o light.

oh and i cant resist: 867-5309

if you have a canopy try three 30" PC retrofit kits, i believe they're 64W each and only 5" wide, that will give you plenty o light.

oh and i cant resist: 867-5309

Ha! 867-5309 always pops up somewhere when I post!

Archived