inTank Media Baskets

How do I save my clownfish

Beerag03

My clownfish of one week is acting very strange this morning he was swimming and eating fine and now he is swimming very slow and not eating he is not doing any acrobatic tricks (swimming up and down, rubbing his side etc) he does have a threadlike object hanging from his underside. What do I do.

I had got one a couple weeks ago that acted strange like that too, I suspect he was caught with cyanide, try to get tank raised they should be alot healthier

My clownfish of one week is acting very strange this morning he was swimming and eating fine and now he is swimming very slow and not eating he is not doing any acrobatic tricks (swimming up and down, rubbing his side etc) he does have a threadlike object hanging from his underside. What do I do.

"Very slow swimming" depends on what youre comparing them to. Clowns are pretty passive and do not zip around the tank, expecially when they are new. They hold a territory and usually stay there unless it is feeding time.

Not eating- well, what is your water quality looking like? Many newbies have problems trying to feed a non-eating fish every 5 minutes which makes the water quality terrible and that actually causes the fish not to eat. if it isnt eating, check the water (that is usually the problem), do a change as needed, and dont feed the fish. fish will not die for weeks if you dont feed them. dont worry about it not eating for a few days.

Swimming up and down in normal, depending what you mean. if its up and down, bobbing type of motion- thats normal. if it's going from the top of the water to the sand and back again and again, that is not normal.

rubbing- may mean it has a parasite. also could mean there are toxic amounts of ammonia burning it's gills. check the water quality.

threadlike object- that is fish poop. considering you arent familiar with fish feces, i'd recommened picking up a book and reading a little more baout clownfish. most of what youre asking is normal.

Joyce Wilkerson's Clownfishes book is an excellent read.

GL

sorry, i didnt see that the fish died. my guess is water quality. since the fish is dead and gone you may never know for sure.

you probably got a TR clown, which is good, although they are being bred very fast to keep up demand. that also means they are not keeping records of liniage and are probably line breeding the fish. that means they arent quite as hardy (inbred).

Clowns are never caught with cyanide. in the wild they dont move. they chip off the anemone, the fish stay in it, and there is no net even needed. Cyanide if used for hard to catch reef fish, like butterflies and angelfish.

youre hard pressed to find wild clowns for sale in a LFS anyways.

If you cant keep clowns alive, well, those are one of the easiest SW fish to keep... i wouldn't "move on" to something more difficult. You just got a bum fish and or didnt research your purchase.

threadlike object- that is fish poop. considering you arent familiar with fish feces, i'd recommened picking up a book and reading a little more baout clownfish. most of what youre asking is normal.

Six thanks for the response I know what fish poop looks like though :happy:

Ive never had any luck with clowns he was tanked raised though. Ive been doing this for years but i always seem to get the bad apple when it comes to clowns. Everything else does fine, blennys gobies shrimp coral. Water parameters were excellent. The other clown was fine. Anyway thanks for the advice

Formerly MikeR.

mabye brook or internal parasites espically if whithish strings are hanging out

brook = formalin dip

internalparasite = medicated food (maracyin 2 or i think jungle lab makes one for internal parasites

• 11 months later...

Archived