inTank Media Baskets

5 days...and still a problem

Samoyed

since about 5 days ago ive had what looks like microbubbles all over my aquarium...what i believed what was the powerhead caused this...turned it off...stayed the same...did a water change...didnt help, and it almost looks like microbubbles from tapwater...but its not!

P.S. I have a 24g NC with stock pump, and a 2.5" sand bed with a semifine grain (but i have no reason to believe its the sand because if i turned the PH off wouldnt it settle?) I do have sponges in my 1st chamber, and nothing in chamber 2 (soon to be fuge with filter floss)! would the sponges cause this...

I also have a little acess sand in my empty chamber 2 and a little bit near the PH...but if the sand was the problem, it would be out of the chambers(stirred it up couple days ago)!

STAYED LIKE THIS FOR LIKE 5 DAYS!!! whats the problem???

my guess would be that you have some type of bacteria producing some gas that is being caught by your cyano so it stays around and is easy for you to see. Get rid of the cyano and your bubbles will probably disappear.

my guess would be that you have some type of bacteria producing some gas that is being caught by your cyano so it stays around and is easy for you to see. Get rid of the cyano and your bubbles will probably disappear.

i stir up the cyano with a Turkey baster everyday(sometimes take it out..with snail poop!)...i stopped when my tank got dusty...cause i didnt want to make it worse...but no matter what its always a lil bubbly lol!

How is the water levels in the back chambers? In my 12 I have a mj 1200 and only get the micro bubbles if there is any type of waterfall movement into the last chamber. Use only one sponge and swap 'em out daily for cleaning. That stock ph is not so good.

How is the water levels in the back chambers? In my 12 I have a mj 1200 and only get the micro bubbles if there is any type of waterfall movement into the last chamber. Use only one sponge and swap 'em out daily for cleaning. That stock ph is not so good.

i havent really taken out sponges...also...i know about the stock PH...and not really a waterfall...its a little troubled/wavey!

also....chamber 2 has either sand stirred or copepods jumping around in it...i cant tell.....

It's pods, sand don't jump like that. Get a 1200, use only one sponge and like I said earlier, sure it's a PITA but having a little slice of heaven in the house puts you through a lil hell every now and then.

It's pods, sand don't jump like that. Get a 1200, use only one sponge and like I said earlier, sure it's a PITA but having a little slice of heaven in the house puts you through a lil hell every now and then.

dude...i must have a ton of pods within 1 month then...cause theres a whole ton...but i have sand in the chambers...but reguardless...the things in my display arent pods....cause with that many pods...i could easily feed a mandarin for like 6 months on just purely pods..plus my little "bubbles" in the display arent pods...they dont jet around!

i just thought about it...ever since my water got cloudy...was when i cut my sponge...and tilted it sideways....and when i added phos ban....could one of these 2 mess up my water?

Remove any kind of filter media, check the hoses that they are tight. Make sure the pump is well submerged in the water.

Microbubbles are caused by air that get trapped in the water and doesn't have enough time to reach the surface.

Remove any kind of filter media, check the hoses that they are tight. Make sure the pump is well submerged in the water.

Microbubbles are caused by air that get trapped in the water and doesn't have enough time to reach the surface.

so i guess its not the bubbles..but do you think if phos ban gets somewhat dissolved it could mess up my water?

so i guess its not the bubbles..but do you think if phos ban gets somewhat dissolved it could mess up my water?

You havent added any calcium without testing have you? CAL precipitating in your tank looks like a snow storm. If its to high it will fall out into the water column.

Justa thought

Jay

You havent added any calcium without testing have you? CAL precipitating in your tank looks like a snow storm. If its to high it will fall out into the water column.

Justa thought

Jay

NOPE..although i do recall putting PH buffer(teaspoon or 2) but that was 2 weeks ago and it dissloves fast...so no its not the buffer....Its not microbubbles...because they hit the surface and dont dissappear!

If your tank is 1 month old, you might be getting diatoms. Do you see a light brownish film on things? Lots of things can cause microbubbles on the surface of everything. Just be patient. Five days is nothing in the cycle of a tank, so I wouldn't worry. I agree with fluidimagery. You definitely dont' want filter media as a permanent part of your filtration or you'll be asking for nutrient problems.

I would cut down on adding stuff like phosban to your tank. The most you should really be using now is some reef carbon for a couple of days once a week. Do you test for phosphates? I would test for phosphates before I put any kind of phosphorus-binding material in the tank. You might not need it at all.

Just let cyano run its course. It's definitely not a permanent thing.

ok im narrowing it down, the stuff that looked like copepods in the back was actually the sand being stirred up, but i turend off my PH for 15-20 minutes...nothing settled, and it looked as if time was standing still in my tank, the particles werent even moving, so i have no clue what it is, i know its not sand!

do a 50% or better water change if you're concerned...

ill let it sit and wait it out for 2 more weeks but if it doesnt get better...im going to do 90% WC

when i set my 24 dx up i had the same thing happen about a month or two after setting it up. I realized that it was tiny pods of some sort, i thought i had a snowstorm because i was just starting to add calcium to up my levels. Eventually some of them got large enough that i could actually see their outline and my clownfish could too :lol: He sat in the flow for about 3 days just grabbing all the bigger sized ones. After that it cleared back up. Don't know if its the same thing but sure sounds like it...

when i set my 24 dx up i had the same thing happen about a month or two after setting it up. I realized that it was tiny pods of some sort, i thought i had a snowstorm because i was just starting to add calcium to up my levels. Eventually some of them got large enough that i could actually see their outline and my clownfish could too :lol: He sat in the flow for about 3 days just grabbing all the bigger sized ones. After that it cleared back up. Don't know if its the same thing but sure sounds like it...

nah its not pods...well actually 100 or so of the dots are...when i turn off the PH.. i see like about 100 pods jumping....and the rest of the particles sit still.....but when i turn off the PH it looks as if time stands still!

Archived