sand agitators

bingalpaws

i want to go BB for cleanliness reasons (not aesthetics..), and am trying to find ways to justify a sandbed, as having a perfect functioning tank is my first concern.

if i had a regular sandbed of sand/cc, would anything be suitable to keep it agitated enough that it wouldn't become a problem?

this is a 2.5, so i don't want to try starfish in such a small tank, and i don't believe 1/4'' of sand is enough for a nassarius snail, and i don't want to go larger, as this is only 2.5 gallons so it is extremely limited space as is (i have a large amount *reelatively* of LR)

Crushed coral is really not a substrate that you'll be able to put organisms into. I've run a barebottom tank since april and I couldn't be happier with the cleanliness results. Detritus removal is as simple as siphoning this way. Give it a try if you're curious. If, after a while, you begin to hate it, just tear down your tank and redo it, which shouldn't be a huge hassle with a 2.5.

neanderthalman

Nassarius snails do good job of digging through the sandbed and eating detritus.

Personally, while BB is a little cleaner, I prefer the look and ecosystem of a sugar sized sandbed. CC sucks! I'll never use it again.

I am skeptical about the effectiveness of a sandbed ecosystem in a nano-sized tank, though.

why would it be any less effective in a 2.5 than any other sized tank, assuming that the footprint:gallon ratio were the same?

why would it be any less effective in a 2.5 than any other sized tank, assuming that the footprint:gallon ratio were the same?

anybody? i keep seeing comments along the lines of evaporation beign worse ina small tank, or teh above comment about sandbeds being less effective.

i hope this isn't painfully obvious, because i cannot figure out how a sandbed, assuming same relative depth to the dimensions of the tank, woudl be any less effective in a 2 gallon than in a 55 gallon. also, why would water evaporate quicker from a a smaller tank? seems like water evaporated:total water volume is directly proportional to teh footprint of the tank, making breeders the worse, hexes/talls the best, and any standard size comparable

goldendreamer
anybody? i keep seeing comments along the lines of evaporation beign worse ina small tank, or teh above comment about sandbeds being less effective.

i hope this isn't painfully obvious, because i cannot figure out how a sandbed, assuming same relative depth to the dimensions of the tank, woudl be any less effective in a 2 gallon than in a 55 gallon. also, why would water evaporate quicker from a a smaller tank? seems like water evaporated:total water volume is directly proportional to teh footprint of the tank, making breeders the worse, hexes/talls the best, and any standard size comparable

anyone?

Archived