SaltCritters.com

stock lighting 24G NC

mrhoddy

Hi there, great site!

Im thinking of getting the uk version of the 24G NC dx, and i have a question regarding lighting. In the UK, the stock lighting for this is 24W pc tube, and i am thinking that this is not sufficient.

I have done some research and i think i could retro fit another 24W pc unit (which is 12") or a 36W PC unit (which is 16") into the hood.

1) Have any of you guys had any experience of this - if i was to leave the 24W in there on its own, what corals would i be limited too (i know thats a bit open ended)

2) Would a 36W PC unit (which is 16") fit into the hood?

3) Is the extra heat caused by the extra unit a problem?

Cheers, any help ASAP appreciated cos im hopefully gonna get one tomorrow (monday 13th)

I have a NC 24 (U.S. version I guess). It has 2 36w pc 50/50 lights in the hood, temps. have stayed at approx 78-79 d. f. but I installed an extra 3 1/2" cooling fan in the rear. I think the stock pc tubes that are in the hood are 16" so they should fit in yours if all the dimensions are the same. Hope this helps!

So the size (in terms of length - 16") of a 36w PC would possibly fit into the hood, of the UK nanocube - but can the 24W starter controller or whatever you call the unit in the hood support a 36W PC tube????

cheers, any help to this or original post appreciated

So the size (in terms of length - 16") of a 36w PC would possibly fit into the hood, of the UK nanocube - but can the 24W starter controller or whatever you call the unit in the hood support a 36W PC tube????

cheers, any help to this or original post appreciated

No, the 36 w pc's I use have a remote ballast designed for them (not mouted in the hood). I don't think the ballast for a 24w tube would/could power the 36 w tubes effectively.

Oh, cheers, thats what i thought.

The thing is with the UK ones is that 24W isnt really enough to do a lot is it. Lighting is expensive anyway, and it seems that its a lot more expensive over here.

Im not sure what to do now, have done loads of research and have just come back top the idea of the NC cos of its closed neat design etc. Could i add T5's into the space left instead of a PC?

How are you finding a total of 72W - have you fouind it limiting?? I could get another 36W PC ballast and stick that in making a total of 60W i suppose

I have not found it limiting at all, of course I'm not into the small polyp stoney corals which from what I have read need the more intense lighting. I have a good variety which seem to be doing well with 72 watts.

I have not found it limiting at all, of course I'm not into the small polyp stoney corals which from what I have read need the more intense lighting. I have a good variety which seem to be doing well with 72 watts.

Same here - stock 72watts and everything is growing - even two hitchhicker SPS's are growing and colouring up :)

It makes me think what they would do under more lighting though - I wouldnt get a nanocube again for that reason - you cant easily upgrade - a stock tank can have any sort of lighting over the top and for you being in england, you could easily order a retro-lighting kit for cheap -

my next tank is going to be a long, shallow tank with PCs :)

Have looked at loads of tanks and different light setups bu the problem is the money and the space for the tank.

The NC is nice cos its pretty compact, contained and looks cool also - the light issue is my stumbling block all the time!!

Keep suggestions coming, cheers

Archived