Pod Your Reef

Current USA Dual Satellite PC

MJD

I was looking at the Current USA dual satellite PC hood, for my 30g. It has 2 x 96 w PC bulbs as well as a lunar light. Just trying grow some soft corals like zoos mushrooms, leathers etc.

Can it work? Thanks

I was looking at the Current USA dual satellite PC hood, for my 30g. It has 2 x 96 w PC bulbs as well as a lunar light. Just trying grow some soft corals like zoos mushrooms, leathers etc.

Can it work? Thanks

You might want to double check that, I think it probably has 2x65w PC bulbs??? Unless they have changed it recently

Slight highjack........

I just got mine yesterday - it's a beautiful thang. I love the little moonlight at night, and Mr. Turbo snail, Ms. Margarita snail and Pretty Boy (Nassarius snail) like the light much better than the horrible 13w Sylvania fixture they were used to.

My tank though is 5 gallon, 12"w x 9"d x 14 1/2"h, with 3 tiny chambers in the back. Luckily the light came with the plastic legs that extend it up a couple of inches above the tank, otherwise it would have only been 1/4" above the top via little rubber 'feet'. So I have an open top look to it although the tank is partially covered by a clear acrylic top with an oval hole in the middle. The light looks like it was almost made specifically for this tank. One thing to note, it has 3 power cords, so if you want to stagger all of your lights, don't forget to get a timer that will let you do that.

I don't have any corals yet, but it's good to know it will work for them.

Laura

You might want to double check that, I think it probably has 2x65w PC bulbs??? Unless they have changed it recently

Their 96 w.

Might purchase it tonight

OR should i go with the current USA Orbit?

Slight highjack........

I just got mine yesterday - it's a beautiful thang. I love the little moonlight at night, and Mr. Turbo snail, Ms. Margarita snail and Pretty Boy (Nassarius snail) like the light much better than the horrible 13w Sylvania fixture they were used to.

My tank though is 5 gallon, 12"w x 9"d x 14 1/2"h, with 3 tiny chambers in the back. Luckily the light came with the plastic legs that extend it up a couple of inches above the tank, otherwise it would have only been 1/4" above the top via little rubber 'feet'. So I have an open top look to it although the tank is partially covered by a clear acrylic top with an oval hole in the middle. The light looks like it was almost made specifically for this tank. One thing to note, it has 3 power cords, so if you want to stagger all of your lights, don't forget to get a timer that will let you do that.

I don't have any corals yet, but it's good to know it will work for them.

Laura

Laura, could you post a picture? I have a Satellite 40W fixture over a 5.5g and the way it overhangs the sides of the tank I didn't think the plastic legs would work (I have it on a stand).

--Diane

Hi Diane,

Here's a couple of pictures, although I have to preface it by saying I read through the original post too fast :wacko: and now noticed the discussion was about 2x96w, where my fixture is 2x18w. The dimensions for the one I got are 12"L x 7.25"W x 2.5"H and my tank is 12"L x 9"W x 14.5"H, so the fixture is a perfect fit. The legs can actually extend out almost another 1/8" on each side so you can set the light on top and then push them in to fit up snugly to the side.

FTS:

0a62aa05.jpg

Closeup of legs:

CurrentSatellitelegs.jpg

HTH

Laura

sweeet guys!

Im thinking of getting the 30" 2x65w one for my future 29gallon. I want to be able to grow polyps, mushrooms, frogspawn, hammers, and a torch, so would this be a good amount of lighting? Does anyone have the 30" model, so i can see the pics, or hear about comments on them?

ps-where did you all buy them off of? Im thinking of: marineandreef.com ???

thx

Flick

Laura,

Thanks for posting your pics! I love your tank dimensions and the light fits perfectly! (BTW, I also got my light fixture and refractometer from LA.)

For anyone who's interested:

Several months ago I upgraded to a 40w, 20" Satellite fixture (from the original Coralife mini over my 5.5g) because the price was right, even though I knew it would overhang my tank on each side. Maybe it doesn't look very elegant but I've been very happy with it. The light intensity is really strong over the sides of the tank where it used to be pretty dim. I built a simple stand out of PVC tubing and it's really easy to access the tank and not too hard on the eyes--IMO! So in case anyone is thinking of doing something similar, here's a FTS (note: this tank doesn't hold water higher than the level shown--too many moves over its lifetime, I think--yet another thing I never notice anymore...):

dscn4104small6gr.jpg

--Diane

guys.....

marineandreef.com is cheaper than all the other online stores eh? For a 30" 130w satellite, it is only $118.00 on marineandreef.com, but on primiumaquatics.com is like $165.00.....Same with other things, their all cheaper on marineandreef.com, yet they are same quality, and same extras...just different price....

Flick

I have two dual Satellites. The 2 x 96W 36" fixture is about three years old and the fan is starting to get noisy, but otherwise NO complaints. The 2 x 40W 20" fixture is just about 8 months old and working perfectly as well. FWIW Orbits are just Satellites with an extra moonlight or two (on some models) and a more rounded shape (oh, and a higher price tag).

Can it work? Thanks

CAN IT WORK...heck that would be good for some SPS...let alone Softies

I have the slightly larger version on my 60 gal. I went for this over the Orbit, because I saw a review that said it was compartively better. I actually did have a frogspawn frag in there during the summer that did nicely for a while (until my butterfly ate it). I wouldnt say that you couldnt do SPS with it though. I have a variety of softies in there and a BTA. Frankly I know the BTA could use more light. It seems healthy enough, but lost its nice colouration over time.

happy reefin'

I have the 24" 2x65w version over my 20g. So far I have been able to succesfully keep softies, xenia, GSP, some LPS (open brain, candy cane, and hammer), an acro and a mille.

My hammer has gone from 3 heads to eight in 8 months and my candy cane from 4 heads to 7 in about 4 months. The green acro is growing and the rose mille is starting to show signs of new growth, netiher has begun to bleach out from what I can see.

Archived