Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hermits fighting or "making babies"?

andre

Beware long post:

This morning when I woke up, I flipped on the lights and walked to my tank to check on it like everyday. Only today, I found my two red tipped hermits stuck together. One was flipped on its back with the shell opening facing up. The other was on top of the shell opening. I quickly thought "d*mn, a shell fight." The hermit on the bottom was in retracted in his shell and the hermit on top looked like it was picking at the one retracted. The one retracted was not dead, it was alive. But after a minute of watching it, this action made me change my mind: The one on top did jerk like motions pretty fast for like 20 seconds. His shell was going back and foward repeatedly. Is this how hermits reproduce? Or was the one on top killing the one on the bottom for his shell? They both are the same size and have the same sized shell so I don't know why he would want the shell. My turbo has a bigger shell so I would have thought that he would have gone for him if he wanted a new shell. The retracted hermit did not come out at all. I was curious as to what was going on so I picked them up and pulled them apart. The hermit on top was holding on pretty tight to the other shell. After pulling them apart, I put them away from each other on the sandbed and the one that was retracted, quickly scurried to the corner of the tank and up a steep rock. The "attacker" stayed where I put him. Now they are both normally doing what they usually do, cleaning. I have never had a problem with them, this is the first. Can anybody tell me what was going on between the two?

Thanks for reading this long thread, sorry for the length. Any help would be appreciated.

haha...that happened to me..same sized shells, and about same size hermits...and it looks like the attacker was bashing the other one...it confused me, i thought they were fighting, i would like an answer to this too!

they are trying to take the others shell. but, if you want (because its funny) just pretend they were "doing it".

But it wasnt trying to do this by killing the other right? Was it trying to pull it out or kill the hermit? Either way, I guess I gotta get some shells from the LFS. Or I might go to Petco and get the empty shells there. haha, they always have 'em, I wonder why. thanks.

But it wasnt trying to do this by killing the other right? Was it trying to pull it out or kill the hermit? Either way, I guess I gotta get some shells from the LFS. Or I might go to Petco and get the empty shells there. haha, they always have 'em, I wonder why. thanks.

Probably the more the better, but I gotta be honest, I have a ton, and they are like little kids... all the empty shells in the world laying around, and they still contantly tussle... oh well.

Archived