Yup I still got a Reef

75g that has been running for about year

every coral i got as alittle frag.

about 2 years ago

50+ different sps corals and few clams

a mandarin and clown are the only fish

i hope you enjoy

mattietank020506.jpg

nice! did you buy those brown corals brown or did they grow into brown corals??? asso what's ur lighting including bulbs?? thanks in advance

-josh

nice! did you buy those brown corals brown or did they grow into brown corals??? asso what's ur lighting including bulbs?? thanks in advance

-josh

too bad you must be crazy .......and i have seen your tank.......... so you shouldn't talk down

i do not have a single brown coral in the tank.

i have bought corals that were brown and they colored up........

browncorals.jpg

i have 2 250w 10k XM metal halides and 4 110w vho uri Actinics

and a 65w powercompact for a moon light

Great looking tank! How is the bare bottom working out for you after a year?

I was debating whether to do it on my new 25gal but decided on an SSB since it'll be a mixed.

Have you ever thought about putting a background on the tank? IMO it would give the tank a more sheltered feel.

Damn.. sick tank. I've always admired your tanks man. Pretty amazing that everything has grown from a frag. Thats quite an accomplishment.

i do need to put a background on the tank. it never bothers me when i look at the tank but boy does it show up in pics

i do have a shallow sand bed in the tank just becouse i like the look of sand....

in my frag tank i use barbottom but it always looks like it needs to be cleaned after a week

lighting is supplied thru ice cap ballasts illuming 2 250w xm se bulbs with refelctors and

2 ARO ballasts powering 4 46.5inch uri actinics 110w each

the flow is from 6 maxijet1200's on a wave timer

the return is a mag7 on scwd.

sump is a simple 20h stuffed with an asm G-3 skimmer

i try to keep the temp betwen 78 in the winter and 83 in the summer

no chiller

callcium reactor and a 10g auto top off willed with kalk

all the rocks were glued together to make the open reef

i used to have crazy 20g nano and when i moved everything from it went in here

You have to excuse the noob's Mattie. They dont know your kick a$$ tanks. Haven't seen you in a while. Nice set up you have there.

The corals are beautiful! the only think i don't like is the rock work looks to stiff and artifitial.... but hey, more room to grow, thats for sure!

i'm looking into getting mH for my tank.. can't wait!

that is one sweet tank! I am running a 250 icecap over my tank with a 20 k radium. what k are your bulbs? from the sounds of it you get really good growth. whats the depth of your tank? for some reason i get the best growth when my sps are on the bottom of the tank could be flow

im srry Mattie, i must have come off as rude.. very sorry.. i didnt mean to sound like a jerk.. just that some of the SPS look brown/tan from your first pic..

-josh

okay so the reef looks a little artifialcal but it tonga branches glued and epoxied to some flat kealini LR

i was going to use a pvc rack to lift the rocks off of the sand bed but i could not stand the look so made it out of live rock.

this raised shelf keeps the detritus from gathering in the back of the tank and with the high flow it keeps it suspended so it can go into the skimmer. i love the look of it and so do the fish its like a giant cave :)

i just don't have enough room for everything thats why stuff is in the sand

the montipora's don't need the amount of light i am giving

if you are getting better growth on the bottom it would be a flow issue try moving your powerheads or adding one or a bigger one.

I'll post some more pics later tonight

fish freak I accept.

the size of the tank is standard 75g 48 long 18 wide and i think 18 high too.

i'll try to show some pics of how i squeezed in the lights

its 940watts of light on the tank

• 1 month later...

mattirs75031606.jpg

finally a new pic of the 75g sps calcium sucker with a few clams in it

it took alot of planning but this tank runs well with out too much maintenance. maybe 1-2hrs per week which isn't bad considering it could be that much per day......

i never put in a background becouse in all my other reeftanks the back of the tank coralined up in a few months but this tank never did so i promise i will put in a background....so

i will try to make it up by posting some pics

yellow mille raised from the smallest frag you ever saw

post-4517-1142740003_thumb.jpg

Archived