Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Who uses a skimmer on their nano?

ksatterwhite

ksatterwhite

I'm thinking about setting up my first nano.  I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on using a skimmer on a nano.  Do you use one?  Why or why not?  

I'm guessing the big reason not is because of the space limitation.  

If you do use a skimmer...what tank are you using and how is it set-up?

Joxer the Mighty

No skimmer so far due to space limitations/having to modify Eclipse hood, but  may get one if I don't rid my tank of cyano soon.

Hi

I run a modified Seaclone in mine - not a very good skimmer but with the mods, acceptable.

I tried skimmerless for a while but although the SPS corals seemed to do better, my leather coral stayed closed most of the time so I reinstalled it. The coral is doing fine now and shows its polyps virtually all of the time - although it took a while before it was happy again.

Everyones setup is different though and many people run skimmerless and I would too if I could.

The tank is approx. 10 gals and it has a rear sump which houses the pump for the skimmer which hangs off the back.

I would say that you should try skimmerless - as most people do I think on a nano, but keep an open mind.

BTW I carry out partial water changes fortnightly and RO water is used for the salt mix.

The tank also has a pair of Percula clowns. Live rock in the front area, and DSB in the rear sump with a Mangrove and some macro algae.

what size tank are you planning on running? anything less than a 20 definately does not need a skimmer. with weekly water changes everything is usually fine. there are exceptions and there are htose that prefer to skim for safety reasons but i choose not to. it is much easier to do water changes than to deal eith chemicals and have to dose all the time since the skimmer pulls them out. for me it is best to not have to dose all the time since i am in school most of the time and cant always spend the time needed on my tank as i should.

I would go skimmerless on anything smaller than 15G.

for 15-20 and up, I would add even a crappy skimmer.

I think in the larger tanks the skimmer helps with redction of all types of pest algae etc and is good at maintaining decent water conditions.

It does come down to individual setup though.

definately not absolutely necessary but if you can afford it, i would say buy one, i have a bacpak 2r on my 10 gal. and it works fine for me, sometimes i get a little lazy so this gives me piece of mind.

korona

i guess i'm one of those with a 20g and a crappy skimmer!  i use the one in my skilter, modified w/ airstone, and it does good enough.  i use it cause i have it, otherwise i wouldn't use it probably.  they are great to have but not necessary in my opinion.

I use one 24/7 in my 7gal nano. Its a sanders piccolo airstone driven it works suprisingly well for a $20 skimmer.

Toy

NanoReefer53

I use a KNOP Excalibur on my 20g which is very nice. I turned it down a little so it dosen't overskim all the good nutrients.

second2n0ne

I use BP 2R skimmer on my 18gal.  Many people have flamed me but hey, I empty my skimmer cup every other day...I can't imagine not using one.  Never had a cyano problem and I change my water every other week.  Water and alk/calc levels stay consistent despite claims that skimmers remove these elements.  

snafuforyou

everyone has a different opinion on skimmers when it comes to nanos. The best thing to do is read all you can on the why's and why nots. that way you can make an informed decision on how you want to set yours up. If you decide on a skimmer:

Space limitation is a main concern- here is a suggestion around that.  If you buy or can obtain a HOB filter get one as large as possible which can hold a small skimmer-like for instance a  Lee's counter current skimmer or any small skimmer. (The filter cartridge or screen will not be used-to make room for the skimmer) You will need to cut down the long plastic piece on the skimmer(the main tube) to fit-just be sure the HOB is wide enough so that the skimmer will fit inside-this keeps the skimmer out of the tank and skims from the filter box. This has you skimming from outside the tank. You won't spend a lot of cash, it leaves room for corals and you won't see another piece of unsightly equipment inside your tank. This will work on certain tanks such as a standard 10 g. The HOB will also circulate your water so no need to buy a powerhead for water movement. The skimmer may stand a little higher than the  tank unless you can customize your own hood-

second2n0ne

I use BP 2R skimmer on my 18gal.  Many people have flamed me but hey, I empty my skimmer cup every other day...I can't imagine not using one.  Never had a cyano problem and I change my water every other week.  Water and alk/calc levels stay consistent despite claims that skimmers remove these elements.  

Archived