Pod Your Reef

My 2.5g Project

the_sass72

I've asked a slew of questions, and I went with the 2.5. Thanks to all who helped me. Here's what I have so far

Minibow 2.5

3lbs LR

5lbs Estes' Ultra Reef Black Sand

Black Background

Eheim Liberty 100 hob filter

I have the 20watt 50/50 (not installed as of yet)

Just started this afternoon, added 2 lbs LR tonight.

I plan on doing the light tomorrow if time permits. I found a 23w compact flourescent at lowes that has an output of 100 watts. I don't know if it will fit yet. I have to take my tape measure back. I also found a 13 w CF with a 60w output. I plan on doing some softies.

Green Bubble Coral (haven't researched yet)

Red Chile Coral

Purple Frilly Mushroom Rock

Green Striped Mushroom Rock

Fox Coral (not sure if possible yet, must research more)

as for my others

I'm not sure to much at this point ... possibly ...

1 fire shrimp

2 hermits (what kind not sure as of yet)

starfish, in time possibly

I'm not sure about a fish yet. I've read a lot of mixed opinions. So, I'm still studying for myself.

Great site here, thanks! I'm only sad that I missed the contest, I would have loved to joined in! Ya'll have some awesome setups!

post-17920-1139118049_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure the lamps from Lowe's will be the right spectrum. A lot of what they have is "warm" white. The 20w 50/50 should be fine. That's what I have in my 2.5 MB.

What do you have in yours with just that one bulb?

Sas

I'm not sure the lamps from Lowe's will be the right spectrum. A lot of what they have is "warm" white. The 20w 50/50 should be fine. That's what I have in my 2.5 MB.

Those lights from lowes have too low of a spectrum. About a week ago I saw them at Home Depot and thought I had found something truly special the rest of community overlooked. I think they are only 6500. I as well would recommend a 20 watt 50/50. You are still getting like 6 watts to the gallon. That should be more than enough.

Thanks Kingfet! Here's what I got.

I bought a 20 watt 50/50 Saturday and put it in Sunday. I also bought a 15 watt white (aquarium bulb). That gives me a total of 35w. I think I have enough to do just about whatever now.

The Lowes light, I had thought the same. I didn't notice the 6500, but only that it was only 800 lumens. I felt that was low. I have it here anyways. I thought if I needed more light I could use it in conjunction with my 50/50 ... but then it may be too much?

Am I thinking right?

The light I have currently in there makes all the difference too!

S

Archived