Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Semi_xAsian's Beautiful SensASIAN

Haagenize

errr.. alright... i guess i might add a seastar after my tank has settled for lke half a year.

Koden thats $5000!!

I've always had trouble finding Banded Trochus snails in my lfs. I guess that isn't true in other areas.

i havent even been to my LFS yet.. I know that theres Petco and that other fish store right next to it. I know because i sometimes go to Whole Foods

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well then I will give you a piece of advice that I am sure that most if not all people here on NR will agree on, most lfs give newbies HORRIBLE advice! They are looking out for number 1, themselves. There are only a select few that are truly concerned with what is best for the hobbiest.

trochus are hard to find, especially the good ones. Only few LFS's who have owners who've kept them before know how great they are and stock them. I can buy some for you and overnight them if you want =) I also have little babies too.

okay... so screw the 15" cube..

after seeing everything adding up to about $1000, and discussing it with my parents, they said no way. So now, im trying to convince Fish to order me a 12" cube saphire glass =P

oceansmotions.com

For that small of a setup, I'd just go with a quiet one 3000. You could go bigger and get a quiet one 4000.

I like quiet one's better than mag's, because quiet one's don't break as easily and leak. Plus they're MUCH quieter (i know proraptor will say otherwise, but I doubt he's had a QO before?). Don't they run on less watts too?

I know panworld has awesome specs, but I know they are louder in general.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about eheim, but bad stuff about mag-drives, and I personally have a quiet one and I've never had a problem with the quiet one. Ran for 5 months no problemo. And it's REALLY quiet too!

Turbo Snail - No need, get Banded Trochus snails. They're much better looking, smaller so they don't knock things over, they eat everything a turbo does and an astrae, if it flips over, they have a foot that can flip them back. I've never had a turbo snail in my tank, never needed it, with 4 trochus snails in a 32g.

Peppermint - don't get them. skunks look better IMO and do a much better job. they're also more peaceful.

Nassarius snails - get nass vibex, you can get a ton in your small tank since they're tiny. They eat a lot, and are great scavengers for left over food and det.

I've heard those crabs aren't always the most peaceful. I've seen them attack snails for shells and food. I'd highly recommend getting those only for show, rather than cleanup. If you want hermits, scarlet reef hermits are best. They're the smallest, and are the most peaceful and reef safe. Very striking red color too.

If I were you, my cleanup would consist of:

1 skunk cleaner

4 Trochus Snails

8 Nassarius Vibex

4 Cerith Snails - great cyano eaters, sifts sand very well too, eats poop and poops so fine that protein skimmers pick them up.

5x scarlet hermit crabs

cheers!

You have no idea what you are talking about....The quiet One pumps arent quiet at all...I had a quiet one 3000 and its was so freakin annoying it was loud...The only thing worse that a quiet one is a rio....Ask anyone in the socal reefers forum at reef central there have been many problems with quiet one pumps...everyone will tell you to go with the mags

Mags are fine to run external...Ive run them before and they are an excellent choice. They have been out forever and have never let me or my friends down.

As for your comment about panworlds you are straight up wrong and making stuff up at this point. The panworld is a ton quieter than Iwaki's and is much cheaper and awesome quality.

Ive owned pumps from all these different companies and am not talking out of my butt...These are cold hard facts

Koden also tells you to go with the 15K XDE bulb....That bulb is by far the worst bulb for PAR on the market...Stick with the phoenix 14K Awesome PAR and awesome color

You have no idea what you are talking about....The quiet One pumps arent quiet at all...I had a quiet one 3000 and its was so freakin annoying it was loud...The only thing worse that a quiet one is a rio....Ask anyone in the socal reefers forum at reef central there have been many problems with quiet one pumps...everyone will tell you to go with the mags

I'm sorry, I do have an idea what I'm talking about. I own 3 quiet one pumps, and they are all quiet. That is MY OWN EXPERIENCE. I'm not saying it's true for everyone. So you are somewhat hypocritical because youa re using your own experience, and some others experiences. I know others who have quiet quiet ones as well. So, YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. You are hilarious. Just because I had a different experience than you, I am automatically increadibly wrong. You cannot rule out the possibility that your one experience is not reflective of the product in general. And just because some socal reefers have that as well, does not rule out the possibility that I have these pumps and have good experience with them. I've tried RIO pumps, via aqua, and maxijets, and my three quiet one's (3000's and a 6000) are VERY quiet compared to either. I've also tried a mag and it was much louder than the quiet one. So quit your assumptions that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

As for your comment about panworlds you are straight up wrong and making stuff up at this point. The panworld is a ton quieter than Iwaki's and is much cheaper and awesome quality.

I'm straight up wrong? I'm not making it up, you're funny. My panworld 200ps is as loud as the mag I've tried.

Ive owned pumps from all these different companies and am not talking out of my butt...These are cold hard facts

Nor am I talking out of my butt, and you're being increadibly immature claiming so. I've owned all these pumps for all these companies as well, you are wrongly accusing me of making stuff up because it is not consistent with your experiences. I'm not attacking what you've experienced, I'm just amazed at your blatant attack on my experienced because you cannot feasibly conceive that I may have had a different experience as you. You are not the ultimate and correct decision maker in the entire world.

Koden also tells you to go with the 15K XDE bulb....That bulb is by far the worst bulb for PAR on the market...Stick with the phoenix 14K Awesome PAR and awesome color

When did I say to go with the 15K? I don't even think XDE has a 15K, They have a 14K no?

To be blunt, you're increadibly rude.

I may be rude but Im right....You are a total noob

Quiet one pumps are junk compared to mags...Ask anyone in the SCMAS they call those pumps "not so quiet ones" they make a stupid humming/raspy sound just like the piece o crap rio's Ive seen it at least 5 times over what I have experienced...Most reputable people will tell you to go with a mag, they have been around forever and have proven to work for many many years....

Then you compare a high end panworld a pump with a lot of balls to a wussy little mag or quietone...Last time I checked the panworld 200PS will keep pushing until 36 ft of head while the largest mag will only pump to 24 ft and the cheesy high end quiet one will only do 12 feet! LOL You are comparing apples to oranges, If you want a pump with balls (panworld) you should expect more sound out of it. Notice I compared the panworld to the iwaki in my original slaying of you because thats a pump in its class!

You pay for what you get in the reefing world and this is a perfect example...If you want your return pump to last many years without hiccups go with a Mag (internal) or an iwaki, Panworld, etc etc (external)

and yes you said go with the 15K bulb after asian mentioned something about buying a XDE 15K (worst bulb ever about as bright as 130 watts of PC!). Try not to comment on what bulb to go with especially if you havent used one cause Id sure feel bad is asian went with the 15K and found out you didnt know what you were talking about the hard way..

Archived