Cultivated Reef

Semi_xAsian's Beautiful SensASIAN

Haagenize

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im glad you like the color lighting I have...

If you want your lighting to look like mine buy a 150 watt pheonix bulb...It will look awesome...

SCWD's in my eyes arent needed at all...I didnt like the one I had...They really kill your flow which makes you have to buy a larger pump to compensate....They just arent worth it in my eyes...

When designing your plumbing just remember unions and ball valves are your friends! You can never have too many...I spent $250 in plumbing alone in my tank and it was worth every penny...I can control flow anywhere I want and take everything apart also without water spilling everywhere

Im glad you like the color lighting I have...

If you want your lighting to look like mine buy a 150 watt pheonix bulb...It will look awesome...

SCWD's in my eyes arent needed at all...I didnt like the one I had...They really kill your flow which makes you have to buy a larger pump to compensate....They just arent worth it in my eyes...

When designing your plumbing just remember unions and ball valves are your friends! You can never have too many...I spent $250 in plumbing alone in my tank and it was worth every penny...I can control flow anywhere I want and take everything apart also without water spilling everywhere

okay, thanks 150 watt pheonix, ill keep an eye out

EDIT: 14,000K Phoenix HQI

Double-Ended Metal Halide Bulb

right? for $60

sweet, how blue would that be combared to your tank

Okay, So I will probably be getting a Pheonix 150w MH 14000K.

Now i gotta worry about pumps.. I need 1 for the Closed Loop and 1 or 2 for the sump. For the sump, i need go to up 3 feet. So a Quiet One 800? Mag 3?

for the closed loop, i need like about 140 gph right?

Okay, so i finally decided on a 15" cube, possible higher height.

about 14.6 gallons

•  
  • MAYBE an anemone (MOST LIKELY NOT)

this dosen't include cleanup crew

Anemone's are tough. They will walk around and kill any coral they walk over. It's hard to know when they want to settle down.

I'm thinking about getting a 150W 10,000K HQI "Double Ended" -Coralife

pad

$59.00 from hellolights.com

Very cool =) With this you'll want to get actinic supplement to get the "florescent" colors out. IMO it looks much better.

or the same thing from drsmithfoster for $50

or 150W XDE 15,000K HQI "Double Ended"

the # of Kelvins will most likely change.

1) Should i get actinics?

I like the color of Proraptors tank

15000K is a better bulb, with actinics is even better! Don't you want the super florescent look?

I'm planning on doing a closed loop,

2) What Powerhead should i get?

Quiet One 3000 (780gph). If you divert this to two outputs, it will be great. Look into a OM 2-way squirt, it will give you really great wave motions, really good for your corals.

3) What pump should i use in my 10g sump

Thats all the questions for now, ill add more when i think of them.

Anything small, I recommend a Quiet One 1200 or something low flow for the sump.

goodluck!

(btw I'm guessing you're Asian... or you like asians ;) hehe )

Hey,

Did you end up getting a quote from Scott?

"Without knowing any of the details on the overflow, bulkheads and the like……a basic 15” cube is going to run about $175."

so its going to be like $250.... errr

Anemone's are tough. They will walk around and kill any coral they walk over. It's hard to know when they want to settle down.

yeah, i decided to get anemones =D

Very cool =) With this you'll want to get actinic supplement to get the "florescent" colors out. IMO it looks much better.

15000K is a better bulb, with actinics is even better! Don't you want the super florescent look?

yup, updated list below

Quiet One 3000 (780gph). If you divert this to two outputs, it will be great. Look into a OM 2-way squirt, it will give you really great wave motions, really good for your corals.

Anything small, I recommend a Quiet One 1200 or something low flow for the sump.

goodluck!

hmmm quiet ones or mag's?

Lighting:

14,000K Phoenix HQI Double-Ended Metal Halide Bulb $60 from MarineDepot

13W - Actinic 03, 7" GX23 Base (1 or 2) $7 from HelloLights

Closedloop:

Mag7, Mag5, or Quiet One 3000

Sump:

Mag5, Quiet One 1200, Mag2, or Mag3

Okay, now i gotta worry about the cleanup crew. Lets make a list =D

1) Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (1)

2) Tongan Fighting Conch (1 or 2 to sift sand)

3) Super Tongan Nassarius Snail (1 or 2)

4) Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab (like 20?)

5) Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab (like 10?)

What else should i add and how many

2) Tongan Fighting Conch (1 or 2 to sift sand)

3) Super Tongan Nassarius Snail (1 or 2)

4) Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab (like 20?)

5) Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab (like 10?)

IMO not the best cleanup crew there. Way too many hermit crabs, not enough snails. Nassarius snails won't eat algae off of the class, they will only help keep the sand stirred, and I have noticed that if the sand is shallow (like an inch) then the hermit crabs do a fairly good job as they sift through it.

If I were you this is what I would do:

1) Peppermint shrimp (1) this will help prevent thoughs pesky rock anemonies at bay

2) Turbo snail (2) these things love algae

3) 3-4 blue leg hermits

4) a single Nassarius snail would be ok

skip the fighting conch, they will get too big for your planned system

but this is only my opinion, do what you feel comfortable with :)

i thought mag's werent that good outside

i was just asking the same question... i guess they aren't any good externally. I was told to check out eheim pumps as an external alternative

1) Peppermint shrimp (1) this will help prevent thoughs pesky rock anemonies at bay

2) Turbo snail (2) these things love algae

3) 3-4 blue leg hermits

4) a single Nassarius snail would be ok

okay.. updated list

1) Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (1) or Peppermint Shrimp (1, but these shrimp look so... bleehh)

2) Turbo Snail (1, these have got to be the uggliest things anyone's layed their eyes on =P)

3) Super Tongan Nassarius Snail (Probably 1, maybe 2)

4) Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab (like 1-5)

5) Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab (like 1-5)

i was just asking the same question... i guess they aren't any good externally. I was told to check out eheim pumps as an external alternative

yeah, but people seem to have success using Mag's externally

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (1) or Peppermint Shrimp (1, but these shrimp look so... bleehh)

you can have both if you want, they will get along.

Hey Koden, where do you get a OM 2-way squirt

Closedloop:

Pan World 40PX Magnetic Water Pump 480gph ($110)

Rainbow Lifegard Quiet One 3000 780gph ($63.59)

Sump:

Eheim Universal “Hobby” Pump 1048 158gph ($59)

Danner Supreme Mag-Drive 1.9 190gph ($29.95)

Rainbow Lifegard Quiet One 1200 296gph ($33.59)

okay.. updated list

2) Turbo Snail (1, these have got to be the uggliest things anyone's layed their eyes on =P)

any suggestions?

Hey Koden, where do you get a OM 2-way squirt

oceansmotions.com

Closedloop:

Pan World 40PX Magnetic Water Pump 480gph ($110)

Rainbow Lifegard Quiet One 3000 780gph ($63.59)

For that small of a setup, I'd just go with a quiet one 3000. You could go bigger and get a quiet one 4000.

I like quiet one's better than mag's, because quiet one's don't break as easily and leak. Plus they're MUCH quieter (i know proraptor will say otherwise, but I doubt he's had a QO before?). Don't they run on less watts too?

I know panworld has awesome specs, but I know they are louder in general.

Sump:

Eheim Universal “Hobby” Pump 1048 158gph ($59)

Danner Supreme Mag-Drive 1.9 190gph ($29.95)

Rainbow Lifegard Quiet One 1200 296gph ($33.59)

I've heard a lot of good stuff about eheim, but bad stuff about mag-drives, and I personally have a quiet one and I've never had a problem with the quiet one. Ran for 5 months no problemo. And it's REALLY quiet too!

okay.. updated list

any suggestions?

Turbo Snail - No need, get Banded Trochus snails. They're much better looking, smaller so they don't knock things over, they eat everything a turbo does and an astrae, if it flips over, they have a foot that can flip them back. I've never had a turbo snail in my tank, never needed it, with 4 trochus snails in a 32g.

Peppermint - don't get them. skunks look better IMO and do a much better job. they're also more peaceful.

Nassarius snails - get nass vibex, you can get a ton in your small tank since they're tiny. They eat a lot, and are great scavengers for left over food and det.

I've heard those crabs aren't always the most peaceful. I've seen them attack snails for shells and food. I'd highly recommend getting those only for show, rather than cleanup. If you want hermits, scarlet reef hermits are best. They're the smallest, and are the most peaceful and reef safe. Very striking red color too.

If I were you, my cleanup would consist of:

1 skunk cleaner

4 Trochus Snails

8 Nassarius Vibex

4 Cerith Snails - great cyano eaters, sifts sand very well too, eats poop and poops so fine that protein skimmers pick them up.

5x scarlet hermit crabs

cheers!

oceansmotions.com

For that small of a setup, I'd just go with a quiet one 3000. You could go bigger and get a quiet one 4000.

I like quiet one's better than mag's, because quiet one's don't break as easily and leak. Plus they're MUCH quieter (i know proraptor will say otherwise, but I doubt he's had a QO before?). Don't they run on less watts too?

hmm okay, ill stick witht the quiet one 3000

Turbo Snail - No need, get Banded Trochus snails. They're much better looking, smaller so they don't knock things over, they eat everything a turbo does and an astrae, if it flips over, they have a foot that can flip them back. I've never had a turbo snail in my tank, never needed it, with 4 trochus snails in a 32g.

Peppermint - don't get them. skunks look better IMO and do a much better job. they're also more peaceful.

Nassarius snails - get nass vibex, you can get a ton in your small tank since they're tiny. They eat a lot, and are great scavengers for left over food and det.

I've heard those crabs aren't always the most peaceful. I've seen them attack snails for shells and food. I'd highly recommend getting those only for show, rather than cleanup. If you want hermits, scarlet reef hermits are best. They're the smallest, and are the most peaceful and reef safe. Very striking red color too.

If I were you, my cleanup would consist of:

1 skunk cleaner

4 Trochus Snails

8 Nassarius Vibex

4 Cerith Snails - great cyano eaters, sifts sand very well too, eats poop and poops so fine that protein skimmers pick them up.

5x scarlet hermit crabs

cheers!

Hmm i like how Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab's look

so

2) 4 Trochus Snails

3) 8 Nassarius Vibex

5) 4 Cerith Snails

Where can you get Nassarius Vibex's?

and how do you buy the 2way squirt

Get 1 or 2 zebra hermits, and get some scarlet hermits anyway. They do a much better job and are smaller.

Diversity ;)

alternative would be a SCWD. I have one for $25, but it's definately not as good as the 2 way squirt. Takes a lot of maintenance, and puts a lot of headloss into the system. They've beeen known to seize and totally stop any flow. It's ok since it's a closed loop, but sucks because it gets stuck.

Some people have never had problems with their SCWD's though.

I'd save up and get a 2 way squirt, it's awesome =)

lol first i was trying to keep under a budget of $1000, which for a 14 gallon, seems a lot, so i lowered it to $500... not including tank, i dont want to spend 1/5 of my budget on flow...

Hey Koden, how about... i come to your house and steal your SCWD =P

2) 4 Trochus Snails

3) 8 Nassarius Vibex

4) Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab (like 3)

5) 4 Cerith Snails

6) 2 Scarlet Hermits

oh and i want a starfish =D

Red & Black Sea Star

th_79024.jpg

wow only $500? that's gonna be tough, but doable.

I spent over $2000 on my 32 gallon tank, and I've spent about $3000 on my 82 gallon tank so far. I have no idea how. Everything just adds up =(

SCWD's are $25 used these days, it's a good alternative.

I don't think a sea star would be a good idea... I believe they need to eat a lot of pods, they get pretty big and knock things over... but I've never done research on them, just knew everyone who I talked to discouraged it.

Archived