Pod Your Reef

Little brown coral-thing

hhasty79

I have nearly the same coral, but mine has green tipped tentacles. I've been trying to ID it for 11 months. I e-mailed Eric Borneman photos of it expanded (like yours) and he didn't know and asked for photos of it closed up. When I sent those he said, Favia....uh, no. But thank you for playing.

Of all the things I have seen in my search, the one that comes closest is a meandrinid, Dichocoenia.

Importation of meandrinids is prohibited which explains why we don't see them in the trade, mine came with a colony of zooanthids growing on the back side. Yours looks like it may have come in as a hitchhiker as well. How did you come to have it?

If you ever find out for sure what it is...please let me know.

Mine was also a hitchhiker...I have three or four colonies of the things, which I find very pretty...

Have you discovered anything about its needs/wants/etc? It seems to be doing fine so far, but I've only had the rock for a little over a month. Wasn't sure whether it needed low or high light so I arranged the rock to keep one colony per light level...high light, medium, low...so far all seem pretty happy.

My rock came from Tampa, full of anemones, mantis, clam-things, scallop-things, spongey-things...amazing stuff.

Check out kng's thread in this forum. Looks like the same thing in his pic. Someone identified it as hidden cup coral. Hope that helps, you sexy Zerg Queen you.

Yeah, that was me because that was/is a hidden cup coral (Phyllangium), but this definitely is NOT a cup coral. The coralites are not spaced the same (these are in contact whereas the cup coral are spaced apart), polyp extention (not just the tentacles) is different, cup coral has more defined septal ridges...etc. Totally different corals.

As far as I can tell mine has done fine in full light. The polyps that are attached to it are starting to spread that way though so I need to separate them because the shaded part of the mystery coral no longer opens. It will take small food items if you offer them, and nearly anything will "stick" to it's tentacles. Mine seems to be almost bullet proof considering what it has gone through.

I think they are drawf cup corals. I have groups of them in my tank. The tips of the tenticles really stand out nice under atonic lighting. They are VERY hardy. Mine were hitchhikers and have been thru alot. They are also very good indicators of changes in water quality. They will retract if there are changes in the water quality. The book " The Natural Reef Aquarium" by John H Tullock says it is a drawf cup coral , cant remember what page it was on. I am sure you can find a thousand different sources that will have a thousand different names for it. Like most living things they do not fit into neat well defined terms of classification. What is most important is the care and feeding of them not their names.

As far as care for it, treat it like a candy cane or any LPS coral, 400+ calcium, moderate lighting, low to moderate water movement and a feeding once a week or so. They are not aggressive and seem not to interfere with anything in the tank. HTH

• 1 year later...

i have something similar, also a hitchhiker. Mine have pink bodies and clear/white tentacles with white bulbs on the end. I believe they are related to the orange ball "anemone" coraliamorph (sp?). I feed mine brine shrimp. I have only 1 surviving polyp currently though, the fuge i had it in failed over the weekend and the water level dropped, exposing the rest (it's in there because my peppermint shrimp considers their tentacles a delicacy).

don.earnest

Hi Heather,

You said the rock came from Tampa? The second I saw the picture, I recognized them because my LFS (in Tampa) has the same things growing in their coral display tanks but I don't think they're for sale. They're just growing on the back of the tanks in little colonies.

The store is "FISH and other ICHTHY stuff" and their website is www.ichthythings.com. The owners name is John. If you email him the pictures, he may be able to help you, or at least point you into the right direction.

If not, let me know and I'll go ask him myself. He's just across the street from where I work and I go in there at least once a week.

Good luck!

Don

Archived