inTank Media Baskets

Coral parasites???

jstewart0

One of my mushrooms and a couple of button polyps have something on them.  It looks like a red dot.  I am assuming it it some sort of parasite because they move around the shroom.  The shroom is usually curled up and now it notice that the buttons have the same thing.  What should I do?  Should I remove these pieces?  Sorry the pics are pretty crappy but it was the closest I could get with the camera.102-0298_IMG.JPG102-0299_IMG.JPG

I think (but the pics aren't great) that you have the common red flatworms, I got em too. Your only chance of ridding them is to catch em right when they get into your tank and syphon them ALL out. Nearly impossible as they multiply really fast and reproduce asexually through splitting. they can be so tiny when young they are practicaly invisible. they are not parasitic nor do they Harm corals directly. However they got so thick in one of my tanks that they smothered out a Montipora Capricornus frag I had recieved. they are ugly but not seriousely danderous if kept in check. There is a product called oomed that has been banned in the US that killz em. six lined wrasses are supposed to eat em (never worked for me) And now I got these sargasum shrimp that are supposed to eat them we will see.

Good luck,

Toy

Keep me posted on the shrimp.  I would love to try the wrasse but am afraid it would devour all the pods, plus the tank is only 8 gal. so I would be hesitant to put a wrasse in such a small tank.  Thanks for the help.

Archived