Innovative Marine Aquariums

Wooz29's 24 gallon aquapod diary

wooz29

Aquapod diary-dob 1/25/06

1/25/06- Added mixed saltwater & 40 lbs live sand

1/26/06- Tested SG=1.020 temp 74 (no heater)

1/28/06- Bought 12 lbs Kaelini & Marshall Island live rock.

1/29/06- Running lights 12 hours

1/30/06- Amonia=.25 SG- 1.021, nitrite=0

1/31/06- Amonia=.25 SG= 1.021, nitrite=0

2/1/06- Amonia=.25/.50 SG=1.021 added salt to get 1.023, nitrite=0, starting to get diatoms on glass and sand.

2/2/06- Seachem test kit-Amonia=more than 3.0(off chart), ph=8.4, Alk.=5, rites=0, rates=0, temp 79.5, SG 1.024, salinity 30% (just for you Steelhealr :-)

2/3/06- Actinics running from 10am to 12pm, daylight from 11am to 11pm, lunars from 11pm to 10am

ph 8.3

alk=5

Rites=0

Rates=0

Free amonia=3

Total amonia=5

SG=1.024

• 3 weeks later...

Well I know it has been awhile since I updated this but things are looking excellent as of last night. I also added a test for phosphates & calcium.

Ph 8.4

Rites 0

Rates 0

Amonia 0

Phosphates 0

Calcium 400ppm

Looks like I am ready for a clean up crew!!!

Have you had any algae breakouts?

Looks like you ran daylight more than what people normally do when they start a tank....did you get cured rocks or uncured?

I got marshall and kaelini rocks as well, but uncured rocks....wondering if daylights will cause algae to break out out of control...

How do you have your back chambers set up?

thanks in advance

Have you had any algae breakouts?

Looks like you ran daylight more than what people normally do when they start a tank....did you get cured rocks or uncured?

I got marshall and kaelini rocks as well, but uncured rocks....wondering if daylights will cause algae to break out out of control...

How do you have your back chambers set up?

thanks in advance

The algae has not been bad at all. Some on the glass that I would clean off maybe once a week. The rock was cured when I bought it. That had to make all the difference in the world. The back chambers are pretty much stock. I did remove one of the large sponges and all off the grate covers. I left the bioballs and ceramic rings in as well. The rings are under the large sponge and the bioballs are in the next chamber. I did buy some chemipure but dont have the need to use it yet. On another note I got my cleanup crew this weeked.

2 emerald crabs

2 pom pom crabs

1 blue leg hermit

1 turbo snail

2 astrea snails

1 cleaner shrimp

1 peppermint shrimp

I thought of something that would definately had an impact on the lack of algae I had, I filled the tank with all R/O water. Tap water has alot of phosphates that cause algae in the tanks.

Archived