Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SERIOUSLY reconsider buying new JBJ models!

Jenny

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did I miss something, or have we verified what year this cracked 24DX is?

It's a 2006...It was made in December of 2005. LFS contacted JBJ and said that this is the first reported incident of a 2006 cracking...don't know how true that might be.

Exotic Aquatics in Algonquin sorry but that guy who runs that place lied to me bad about a special and non special order then after some phone tag never called me back after promising to take care of the fact that he misled me! had to deal with manufacturer directly! I will never go there again! attitude goes a long way in my book! I have no problems with any other chicago store been to most---- except for some are more expensive than others :) and some won't trade with you or sell small mini frags! but that is just my experience YMMV

Yeah, unfortunatly your not the only one he's mislead or downright lied to. I'm w/ you there, I'll never give him another penny of mine.

Exotic Aquatics in Algonquin sorry but that guy who runs that place lied to me bad about a special and non special order then after some phone tag never called me back after promising to take care of the fact that he misled me! had to deal with manufacturer directly! I will never go there again! attitude goes a long way in my book! I have no problems with any other chicago store been to most---- except for some are more expensive than others and some won't trade with you or sell small mini frags! but that is just my experience YMMV

After my overall experience w/ Exotic Aquatics I totally agree w/ the both of you! At first I gave them the benefit of the doubt since they replaced my tank w/ a 55 gallon, but the more I've talked to the main guy, the less I trust anyone who works there. Not only did he try and sell me another nanocube, but he also said he was going to try and get a free light fixture for me out of JBJ for having their tank crack and I've already asked him twice about it and he said he hasn't heard back from them yet which translates to he hasn't even called them yet about it. I could really care less though. I got my 55 gallon out of them, which has proven to be quite a nice upgrade from my nano, and will probably never set foot in that store again. I will definitely never trust them for livestock! Thanks for the first head up about them RayWhisperer! :D

Well I have always had a hankering for a NANO cube until all the cracking issues arose. Then the AP was introduced, buy IMHO its way to early in the ball game to be a guinea pig on a new product....but one thing is for certain. I seriously doubt there will ever be either of those brands in my house any time soon if ever at all. When yu have to be so carefull in needing to walk on pins and needles, perfectly flat planar surfaces, afraid to let rocks touch glass, or a minute sracth developing into a crack, bumping it and all kinds of loop holes in what is covered and how its covered in warranty, etc concerning these two tanks, its just amaizing that I can have those el cheapo perfecto tanks of various sizes get pushed outside, left out for a year or two in the shed, bumped into with a vac cleaner by wife, setting on anything but a perfect planar surface, drop rocks in them and have rocks all up against the back glass and they have yet to bust, leak or do anyhting except provide a perfect container to keep my setups in......

My solution to my NANO self contained unit was utilizing a 30 gal oceanic cube in which I installed a false back panel and it mimicks the AP and Nano cubes in every way except for leak / crack potential.......A custom made acryic hood thats equal to either of the others hoods and made how I wanted it......No worry about crack etc.....sure it may have run a few bucks more overall and not counting my time, but it gave me something to do, and something thats made that I have some control over.......but its a small price increase to pay for peace of mind....IMNSHO

JBJ NANO's and Aqua Pods both leave lots to be desired, but neither are for me anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I too had a 24 g nano cube crack. Thank goodness it was during it's leak test, and was out on my patio. Funny, it cracked practically in the same place yours did. The water didn't gush out, but rather a slow trickle.

I contacted Chris at Nanocustoms, where I purchased the tank, and he passed me on to Borite (spelling?) at JBJ. It took a few phone calls and several days, but JBJ sent me a new tank. I fresh water tested it for 2 days before bringing it inside and filling it with live sand and water.

When I come downstairs in the morning, and when I come home from work, I'm still holding my breath that the tank will be in one piece. I feel like getting a nanny-cam for it so I can watch it while at work.

Anyway, good luck, and as someone posted earlier, there's a ton of nanocubes out there that are doing just fine.

H20lovr

post-19059-1141158845_thumb.jpg

RayWhisperer

Welcome to N-R.com H20lovr. Was that a 2006 model? If so that's #2 around here, although it sounds like you got yours shipped. I've always purchased mine from LFS's, this way I can really get in close for inspection.

Hi Ray -

My new one (pictured in the post above) is an 06 model, was shipped from JBJ. The tank box was bubble wrapped, and placed in another box that was filled with styrofoam peanuts. No scratches or dings in it at all.

So far so good...

Makes me sick....I have a new 24DX JBJ, and it has been out on the patio for the test run for three days....It appears fine, but I haven't been able to bring myself to take it in and set it up.....I just wish i would have done more research before I ordered it. Being new to salt I chose it because it had the filtration needed and I wasn't confident enough to put a system together on my own. Mine is not returnable because I got it from a skum bag ebay seller whos feedback has since fell to 77%....

I would not worry too much. Out of the hundreds of 2006s that have likely been sold, this is the only confirmed report of one cracking. Dozens of people have posted here about owning a 2006 and had no problems. I'm one of them.

After the Aquapod and nano fission skimmer debacle I can't believe some people are still claiming the Aqaupod is better. They have thinner glass (as confirmed by the manufacturers in an earlier post) and released a product that was only as good as the last JBJ generation. It is clear their reputation for quality lighting did not carry over to their other product lines. Worse yet, they even got the lighting wiring wrong. Wasn't this supposed to be their area of expertise?

Secondly, ALL 3 sided bent glass (not bow front) aquariums are more susceptible to breakage because the twisting torque from an uneven surface is resisted by the glass, not the silicone. One guess which is more flexible?

I love the bent glass and JBJ products and would happily install any 2006 24G anywhere in my house. Any of you who bought one and are afraid to install it, feel free to send it my way. :-)

Don't bother flaming me with "Aquapod rules" material. I am not a loyal fan of JBJ, just not impressed with the current crop of Current USA products, just like I was not impressed by the last crop of JBJ 24G tanks.

I think that the problems with cracking are due to skripo's reasoning.uneven placement. my 2005 24g has zero problems. I have it sitting on 4layers of felt which is on top of a slate topped table. nice and flat, never flexes.

• 4 weeks later...
reefernanoman

Well I bought A 24 gallon nano cube with production date 12/2005. I didn't even get a chance to set it up. After I cleaned it, I noticed a hair line crack close to the right front corner!! what a bummer!! here are pics

addam4208283

wow this is a long thread. i kind of feel uncomfortable now waiting for my nano cube to come in, still excited but also uncomfortable. i made a check list in my head on what to do when setting it up so hopefully will not have any problems thanks to you guys. i think the biggest problem is finding an even placement area to set in up. with my house being over 220yrs old i really have that against me.lol

ADAM

wow this is a long thread. i kind of feel uncomfortable now waiting for my nano cube to come in, still excited but also uncomfortable. i made a check list in my head on what to do when setting it up so hopefully will not have any problems thanks to you guys. i think the biggest problem is finding an even placement area to set in up. with my house being over 220yrs old i really have that against me.lol

ADAM

No reason to be nervous. I think it is of poor judement to title a thread SERIOUSLY reconsider buying new JBJ models!. People who post such threads in my opinion are suspect.

There has been only a handful of cracking issues reported on this forum, and no one has stopped to ask the obvious questions:

- Could the cube have been damaged in shipping ?

- Was the issue user error (i.e. mishandling, modifcation ) ?

- Is this person just attempting to start a flame ?

Or in this case, maybe Jenny found a lemon. Even so, it does not warrant the alarmist nature of thread by telling potential buyers not to purchase a product based on one persons bad experience.

I think a mature and professional mannor would be to title the thread, Problems with my JBJ Nano Cube or My JBJ Nano Cube Cracked. One can perform a search on the nano cube on this forum and other like forums and find hundreds of successful and happy owners, yet the five or so threads dealing with failure seem to draw the most attention because of there alarmist nature.

addam4208283
No reason to be nervous. I think it is of poor judement to title a thread SERIOUSLY reconsider buying new JBJ models!. People who post such threads in my opinion are suspect.

There has been only a handful of cracking issues reported on this forum, and no one has stopped to ask the obvious questions:

- Could the cube have been damaged in shipping ?

- Was the issue user error (i.e. mishandling, modifcation ) ?

- Is this person just attempting to start a flame ?

Or in this case, maybe Jenny found a lemon. Even so, it does not warrant the alarmist nature of thread by telling potential buyers not to purchase a product based on one persons bad experience.

I think a mature and professional mannor would be to title the thread, Problems with my JBJ Nano Cube or My JBJ Nano Cube Cracked. One can perform a search on the nano cube on this forum and other like forums and find hundreds of successful and happy owners, yet the five or so threads dealing with failure seem to draw the most attention because of there alarmist nature.

thanks for the reasurance drwatson. i should be getting my tank in the mail tomorrow from chris. then i will see if i can get the ball rolling and do a couple day leak test this weekend.

ADAM

well chris said that my crack was actually a scratch, but I just wanted to be on the safe side.

My tank came scratched too, but hey, its been filled with freshwater for the last 2-3 weeks just to be sure, no problems. Like I said in my other posts, I'm convined that even surfaces has to do with it ...

I built my own stand .. I ordered a universal base kitchen cabinet, 18" wide, got a door/drawer package for it, cut two 3/4" pieces of mdf in the shape of the tank, just 2" wider, and laminated it with formica... (and glued and screwed the mdf together)...

Can't get any more smooth and even than that surface?

Brother-Shark-Bait

I would just like to say that I don’t think JBJ set out to make a crappy product. I’m sure that they tested the models and did the best they could to mass produce them while still maintaining quality control. I would also like to say that while your fish tank cracking sucks it sounds like you ended up scoring on the deal. As for me if it weren’t for the Nano Cube I would have never gotten into this hobby. My tank is three weeks old and I totally dig it. I was scared of salt water until I visited my friends house and saw a small cube full of beautiful creatures that you could pull out of a box and be set to go. As for everyone else who is scared to open there Nano Cubes and set them up are you CRAZY? These things kick ass, test them if you want too but don’t be scared to do it. My 12 gallon is the old version. I pulled it out of the box, filled it with water (without inspecting it to closely) and added my rock.. I have had several pieces of rock hit the glass and still no problems. I think that this thread is kind of ridiculous if you ask me. It should have read HEY MY CUBE CRACKED AND THE FISH STORE TOTALLY HOOKED ME UP. There are going to be lemons in every product mass produced. Think about it for a second these cubes are put into boxes and shipped all over the world. I’m sure most of the cracking issues come from poor handling and not poor quality control. Well anyways I don’t mean to sound like a spokes person for the company but I would rather see five pages of pics on a new set up or modifications.

Archived