inTank Media Baskets

SERIOUSLY reconsider buying new JBJ models!

Jenny

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ay the 6s crack to JBJ is crap period you cant pay me to have even the newest model go get a AP and peace of mind.

Oh, and all the people that are reporting cracked Aquapods? When I went in Denny's Pet World yesterday, there was a cracked AP sitting on the counter as a return. Or how about the miswired hoods that are shocking people? Some people are hailing the Aquapod to be better than the JBJs, but in reality they are an unknown. Could be better, could be worse. I'd hardly call that peace of mind.

Thats why people shouldnt buy nanocubes or aquapods...Stick with the regular old AGA standard tanks...Ive never had one bust on me

JBJ is a horrible company...They didnt even try and help people with their losses...JBJ is on the same level as aquatraders in my book...

LOL the APs have cracked in shipping not one report of anyone with one crack just because of water. The miswired hoods ya that happened to the 12g the problem is solved and people that had a bad one got them all replaced already. At least they work unlike JBJ's and JBJ's skimmer is crap the pump it crap the glass is crap.

My '06 24DX NC is sitting not two feet from me, and I can attest to the fact that the pump works quite well. Very quiet too. The glass doesn't have a single blemish, save for a few fingerprints it got when setting it up about 12 hours ago. Now, I know that's not very long and I haven't used their skimmer so I can't speak for its quality, but so far I'm very happy with my NC.

As an earlier 24G NC owner, I find this post rather disturbing. Any aquarium can develop a crack, but that incident is rather rare. I hope that this isn't the beginning of a new list of cracking JBJ's. What's particularly disturbing is that the crack in Jenny's tank is in the usual area that the older tanks have cracked...on the right side.

I also find it disturbing if JBJ says it 'won't be covering cracks anymore'. You really have to question a company if they don't stand behind their product. "Here ya go.....here's your tank...dont' call us if it busts, ka-ching".

Jenny..here is my recommendation. Without cutting yourself, see if you can take a shard of that glass and have the thickness of it professionally measured. Check the front, side and at the seamless corner. Make sure the thickness is uniform and measures to what they state the thickness should be. sNEIRBO measured his tank glass out at a little over 3mm. I believe this glass is supposed to be in the 5mm or thicker range.

After being here for almost a year plus, there are some people here who I would almost call friends if it hadn't been that I have never met them in person. I think it really sucks when 'one of our own' suffers a tank catastrophe. Sorry Jenny....I'd definitely investigate this if I were you..if not only to protect others here. SH

just because you dont see as many reports of cracked AP's here as you do NC's that doesnt mean they dont have same issue. First, consider how long each tank has been around. There are far more NC in circulation and use than AP. The real issue behind the whole dilema is not only the thickness of the glass (which isnt drastically different between two brands), and the fact that when you blow glass into a curved shape and exert pressure from the inside of the curve there are going to be issues (especially if the glass thickness in the curve is less than the straight wall areas). REally the ideal fix is for both companies to increase their glass thickness. Or just make the damn things acrylic. Then we wouldnt even be having these discussions. just my .02

Hey;

If your willing too i'll buy your cracked 24g for a project. :)

You might be in luck, this weekend I saw a cracked 24gal nano cube on ebay :huh: for $0.99 (no hood). Just type in "nano cube" and it should come up if it hasnt sold yet.

I'm looking for a complete nano-cube minus the glass. I think most of you are catching the gist of what I want to do ;)

I'm sorry, I would have sold it to you, but I had to bring it back to the LFS in order for them to give me a new tank. They're shipping it back to JBJ to look at.

For anyone who asked, I brought it back to the LFS today and he knows someone at JBJ. He called them while I was there and they said that this is the first instance of a 2006 model cracking. Don't know if that's true...but anyways the LFS gave me a new 56 gallon normal rectangular glass tank w/ a nice stand and a bunch of stuff & 50 gallons of pre-mixed saltwater all for free. He actually tried to get me to buy another JBJ but even if the risk is only like 1 millionth of a 1% of it cracking, I don't care, I won't buy another one. So I got the 56 gallon instead. I guess it was a pretty fair deal. I'll only really need to get a little more live rock and sand, and some better lights in the future. The damage has turned out to probably be less than we expected...there's a big cut out hole in the ceiling below my room to let the rest of the water evaporate. It seems that the water was cleaned up quickly enough so that it didn't ruin the wood floor. We'll have to wait to see though...if it starts to smell or warp then it might need to be replaced, but so far so good! Lucky I was home...

WTG...there is nothing more reassuring in the aquarium world when your lfs comes to your side and makes good. Look at the bright side...MUCH MORE ROOM to add the good stuff. SH

I am glad I read this entire thread !!!!!!

I have a question now it may sound dumb but I am new and have no clue on the pros and cons on AGA vs Arcylic .

do acrylic tanks ever crack? are they better than glass ?

Well acrylic doesn't crack like glass and it is lighter than glass, however it is more prone to scratching. Also acrylic is more expensive than glass tanks.

I hope it didn't ruin the wood floor in my room. We haven't determined how bad the damage was yet. But some water did get under the floor...you can see water on the ceiling in the room beneath mine. What if like an entire room was ruined? Can JBJ be held responsible for damage prices? Probably not...but I just thought I'd ask! Anyone know?

it will, cuz its salt water.

LOL the APs have cracked in shipping not one report of anyone with one crack just because of water. The miswired hoods ya that happened to the 12g the problem is solved and people that had a bad one got them all replaced already. At least they work unlike JBJ's and JBJ's skimmer is crap the pump it crap the glass is crap.

Ya, well you better hope they don't crack.....

Jenny, glad to hear this has worked out and you have an nice new set up... what shop was it?

Ya, well you better hope they don't crack.....

Jenny, glad to hear this has worked out and you have an nice new set up... what shop was it?

Exotic Aquatics in Algonquin...don't know if I trust them entirely though. RayWhisperer recommended Ocean's Floor in Lake In The Hills and I checked that place out and it's really cool! The guy seemed really nice and they had some awesome livestock. Not much dry goods though, but he said they're planning on expanding in that area. Anyways, both of these places are out in the burbs, not sure if you're in the city or outside the city. But if you're lookin for some nice livestock check out Ocean's Floor.

Thanks for everybody's support! :D

I am glad I read this entire thread !!!!!!

I have a question now it may sound dumb but I am new and have no clue on the pros and cons on AGA vs Arcylic .

do acrylic tanks ever crack? are they better than glass ?

I had a 12g acrylic- what a pain in the a$$ it was to clean! Acrylic is supposedly clearer than glass- till you scratch it. Which will happen the first time you try to clean the coraline off, or your kids get within 10ft of it, or you put live rock in it. Now I got my 24g glass AquaPod which came w 150w HQI and I love it. Coraline brushes right off without having to scrub with my hands in the water for 10 minutes like I did with the acrylic. Coraline bonds to acrylic like superglue- and you can't use the brillo type cleaning pads that you can with glass- you're stuck with the soft ineffective 'acrylic safe' cleaning pads that don't do squat. Also glass is a better heat conductor than acrylic so may stay a degree or two cooler. IMHO :P

Is crap the only word you know? Where do you think the aquapod is made from? CHINA. AP is new right now, just wait and the AP will have the same problem. Glass will crack..............

I had a 12g acrylic- what a pain in the a$$ it was to clean! Acrylic is supposedly clearer than glass- till you scratch it. Which will happen the first time you try to clean the coraline off, or your kids get within 10ft of it, or you put live rock in it. Now I got my 24g glass AquaPod which came w 150w HQI and I love it. Coraline brushes right off without having to scrub with my hands in the water for 10 minutes like I did with the acrylic. Coraline bonds to acrylic like superglue- and you can't use the brillo type cleaning pads that you can with glass- you're stuck with the soft ineffective 'acrylic safe' cleaning pads that don't do squat. Also glass is a better heat conductor than acrylic so may stay a degree or two cooler. IMHO :P

so very true. good words for tank husbandry.

Archived