inTank Media Baskets

SERIOUSLY reconsider buying new JBJ models!

Jenny

Hello all,

So, I just bought a 24 gallon JBJ deluxe nanocube the other day. I was quite familiar of the horror stories of the old models cracking, and believed JBJ that the new models "thicker glass" fixed that problem. I set everything up, added my new live rock and my live sand and everything was running smoothly. The next morning, the lights and the fans weren't working. Hmmmm...I brought it back to the LFS where I bought it and they said the ballast was bad and replaced the ballast and the entire hood just to be on the safe side. Cool, now everything was working again. TODAY, I'm sitting downstairs and I hear this weird dripping/running water sound. I walk upstairs and what do I see? WATER COVERING MY ENTIRE BEDROOM FLOOR AND A HUGE, AND DO I MEAN HUGE, CRACK RUNNING FROM THE TOP RIGHT CORNER ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER of the tank. Luckily my tank was still cycling and I had no livestock in it. But now all my live sand and live rock is sitting in various buckets around my room. I read the stories, but didn't think it'd happen to me. PLEASE be careful and reconsider if you're planning on buying a JBJ nanocube. Maybe I just had a bad tank, BUT it could happen to you! I inspected mine thourougly and it had no cracks or scratches anywhere before I bought it. I'm waiting for the owner of the LFS where I bought it to call me to see if we can work something out because they're cool people, BUT if you read the sheet that comes w/ your JBJ, it says that for the 2006 model they WILL NOT replace if cracked. I don't know how true that is, but I won't buy another JBJ anyways. So, that's my story. Glad I could share...I really hope this doesn't happen to any of you becaues it really bites!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great. I was about to buy the NC6 today while at my LFS buying phyto after people convinced me like last week that it was reliable. Then this thread changed my mind again. Thanks for sharing.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Sry that sucks SO bad i know it happend to my friend but none the less I have been telling people the DX isnt total fixed its still a peice of CRAP

I have been trying to tell people that. However the NC6 is a bit more stable but ballest and pump and such are still CRAP but hey thats just me. If I were you I would buy some sort of 5g tank instead of a NC6.

S*!t, I'm sorry to hear that Jen-nay. I wouldn't be so sure on that guy giving you anything... I just don't trust him. He once told me "Nano Cubes don't crack! I've never heard of it, and noone has ever returned one to me." I digress, don't get discouraged Jen. I think anyone whos been at this awhile has had a few leakers(I know I sure have). Just sucks that it happened so soon w/ you.

i havent tried to remove the hood, but isnt it somehow glued on to the tank? my first dx had bad wiring and the lfs exhchanged the whole tank for me.. not just the hood.

maybe changing hoods stressed the glass somehow?

Hello, first post here..

I just bought a JBJ 24G nanocube. Mine was built 12/2005 I hope it will ok (2006 model)

I'm totally new to saltwater tanks so I decided to register here to ask some questions I already have about my setup... I wasn't aware I would read an horror story on the same tank I just bought!

Let's hope mine will be fine!

Regards,

Etienne

i havent tried to remove the hood, but isnt it somehow glued on to the tank? my first dx had bad wiring and the lfs exhchanged the whole tank for me.. not just the hood.

maybe changing hoods stressed the glass somehow?

The hoods aren't glued on in any way. They are designed to be removed, so I don't think removing it would stress the tank in any way. Still just plain old poor quality control at the manufacturer, IMO.

Jenny - you should buy this - http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77937

Everyone would envy your setup. My wife told me I couldn't buy another tank :(

I guess this is what happens when something explodes in popularity...the production gets ahead of itself and they start lowering quality control...sucks real bad man. I hope they give you a new one...and tell em you want them to install new carpet for you too =)

Hope it all goes well, keep us updated on the fix.

scarf_ace1981

i dont have any knowledge of these nanos and minibows coming out. i guess you could call me old fashioned since i like AGA tanks. it seems to me that whatever plastic or glass they are using for these tanks is of poor quality.

To some of you that had asked questions:

No, none of my rock was touching any of the glass.

Yes, the tank was on a level surface. My dad remodels houses and does construction and he even checked it all out beforehand to make sure it was going in a completely level area.

I don't really think changing the hood could have done it. It's the exact same hood...just gave me one that worked!

I hope it didn't ruin the wood floor in my room. We haven't determined how bad the damage was yet. But some water did get under the floor...you can see water on the ceiling in the room beneath mine. What if like an entire room was ruined? Can JBJ be held responsible for damage prices? Probably not...but I just thought I'd ask! Anyone know?

Thanks for everyone's support...I'll find out today when I get home from work what I'll be doing in terms of getting a new tank. But I won't take a risk again w/ this one. Have a great day everyone!

Oh yeah, RayWhisperer, I checked out Ocean's Floor...very, very cool store! I will now be going there instead once I get my new tank established. Thanks!

Wow, this really sucks. Even new model is cracking already. This is the reason why I never recommended JBJ NC tank to my friend. There's so many great tanks available nowaday, why are we still buying 24G NC???

Get M-Tank or 30G Oceanic Cube or just regular tank. They are much much safer and it's easier to upgrade.

Haha! I've always wondered if there's a Jenny out there w/ that number! Unfortunately, it's not me. -_-

Does anybody know anything about the 24 gallon Aquapods? Or should I just go for a normal tank and get all the pieces separate? What about M-tanks? Someone on here recommended an M-tank. Any feedback?! Thanks guys!

AquaPods are the Sh!t I've had one for 1 month and love it. I drop a LR on the glass in the tank not even a scrath that glass is tough @ss I highly reomend. JBJ SUCKS

I had a 12 gallon crack on me. Good thing you were home at the time.

My friend had a glass 300 gallon with Arowana's bust hahah...

There was a foot of water in his house for like an hour.

If I were you, I'd get a normal tank and add the components (This is what I did). I think a 10, 15 or 20 gallon AGA tank is perfect for a nano-reef. Curved glass is a disaster waiting to happen, IMO.

Haha! I've always wondered if there's a Jenny out there w/ that number! Unfortunately, it's not me. -_-

Does anybody know anything about the 24 gallon Aquapods? Or should I just go for a normal tank and get all the pieces separate? What about M-tanks? Someone on here recommended an M-tank. Any feedback?! Thanks guys!

Hey Jenny, sorry to hear about your tank, hope the lfs takes care of you! My girl bought me a 18gal acrylic cube on ebay called aqualine. This guy makes them custom in lots of sizes! He's been doing this for awhile and backs all of his craftmanship, his ebay selling score is like 99%! The tank comes with a coralife mini compact that has 36 watts and the return pump is a rio 600 which is the same one cpr bak-pak uses. I've had the bak pak for 3yrs. and i have'nt had any problems with it! The 18gal cube was very well rapped and i had no complaints, the whole thing cost about $190.00. The tank it self has serious diy potenial and would recommend to any nano reefer. Theres one up for auction right now, just search under nano cube under pet, great pics. Good luck heres some pics of mine ;)post-18198-1139007979_thumb.jpgpost-18198-1139008005_thumb.jpgpost-18198-1139008020_thumb.jpg

Hey Jenny, sorry to hear about your tank, hope the lfs takes care of you! My girl bought me a 18gal acrylic cube on ebay called aqualine. This guy makes them custom in lots of sizes! He's been doing this for awhile and backs all of his craftmanship, his ebay selling score is like 99%! The tank comes with a coralife mini compact that has 36 watts and the return pump is a rio 600 which is the same one cpr bak-pak uses. I've had the bak pak for 3yrs. and i have'nt had any problems with it! The 18gal cube was very well rapped and i had no complaints, the whole thing cost about $190.00. The tank it self has serious diy potenial and would recommend to any nano reefer. Theres one up for auction right now, just search under nano cube under pet, great pics. Good luck heres some pics of mine ;)post-18198-1139007979_thumb.jpgpost-18198-1139008005_thumb.jpgpost-18198-1139008020_thumb.jpg

Whoah! That's cool!!

EDIT: Nevermind the below, I found it.

Very nice! Can you PM me the name of the ebay seller? I can't seem to find it on ebay. I tried searching how you said.

Is this Jenny 867-5309???

Haha! I've always wondered if there's a Jenny out there w/ that number! Unfortunately, it's not me.

ROTFLMAO! I pulled that prank on a guy I work with.... The number is a real number in that area code! Alas, no Jenny lived there.

Jenny, personally I don't think much of the Aquapod(flame on guys!)JMO, those Finnex are really nice, and the other 18 gal costom acrylic looks pretty nice aswell. It's all you girl, whatever you want! I hope you can get some compensation for it, let me know what happens.

Archived