inTank Media Baskets

Cirolanid Isopod

charliechalk

I have pulled out two dead Cirolanid Isopods out of my tank over the last couple of weeks. my tank is five weeks old and has finished cycling.

I havent seen any more of these creatures, but is it wise to give it some time before i add fish? also do they attach themselves to anything else?

Do they live in the sand? How will I know im free of them?

thanks for any info.

charlotte

I believe the only way you'll know if you're free of them is if you put in a fish and you don't find one of these things attached to the fish at night. But I think 5 weeks without fish to suck on is a pretty long time. They're probably all dead....

just imo though.

I have pulled out two dead Cirolanid Isopods out of my tank over the last couple of weeks. my tank is five weeks old and has finished cycling.

I havent seen any more of these creatures, but is it wise to give it some time before i add fish? also do they attach themselves to anything else?

Do they live in the sand? How will I know im free of them?

thanks for any info.

charlotte

are you 100 percent...i thought i had one...looked like it but had smaller eyes...are you 100 percent sure...take a pic and post it!!!

WHERES C est ma????

well not 100% it could be a harmless one for all i know. would be good if i could find a place that had a photo of the good and the bad.

I chucked it away with out even thinking about taking a picture. it did look like the picture i have attached. but if i see another i will be sure to take a snap for peoples input.

post-17361-1138980760_thumb.jpg

I had a bunch of isopods in my old 24g tank about 2 months after I started it up. I was worried and did a bunch of research. They turned out to be sphaeromatid isopods that are harmless.

One feature of ciranolids is the large eyes that are positioned toward the top of the head rather than toward the front. Sphaeromatids have eyes on the front that are not near as big as a ciranolid and very distinctive tails.

This is a good article on identifying these.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php

The parasitic ciranolids are pretty uncommon. Hope this can help you identify what is in your tank.

ok have taken some pictures of my isopod things. ( might be a little blurry)

Thinking they maybe the Sphaeromatid isopods now. but i would be grateful for your thoughts. quite difficult to be sure.

thanks charlotte

and another

post-17361-1139318512_thumb.jpg

post-17361-1139318543_thumb.jpg

post-17361-1139318774_thumb.jpg

Archived