Innovative Marine Aquariums

Questions about custom tank!

Fishfreak218

The tank will prob. be set-up in another year.. hopefully sooner.... anyway im going to start getting equipment now. the tank will be a custom 24x36x18" thats right a 36" width.... the plan is for it to be highly dominated by CHOICE SPS (only GREAT colored SPS) ..... it WILL have a high bio-load to get the look im looking for:

n1qmhx.jpg

the display tank volume will be 67g. with about 15g. in the sump..

this tank will have some LPS and Softies.. it will also have clams.. i plan to follow his maintence schedule (syphoning sand every week etc.) [see his tank and info on it at www.oregonreef.com ] ok to help keep the water quality in great condition i plan to have a Big refugium, a nice skimmer, and 15% weekly water changes..... i will be aquascaping my tank like his (thats why the tank is so deep..deep tanks look COOL!!) and even placing simmilar looking coral where he has them... the sump/fuge will be a 30g. tank with ALOT of Cheato and alot of rock (to help w/ bio-load) ...... the skimmer will either be a Deltec MC500 or a Deltec MCE600 which one do you think I should get??? is there one that you think is better than that for a similar or cheaper price???? What Calcium REactor should i get??? also there wont be any unapropiatly sized fish in this tank (like Large Tangs) .... what should i do for lighting.. i dont want tos spend a TON! it obviously has to be MH please give me a combo of what i should get (MH, MH w/ PC, MC w/ T-5) and give brand names..... also anyone got any fish suggestions, i want fish with the characteristic of a tang (always swiming) but not the size of a tang.. one that will be out alot and swimming.... tank will be built for easy maintence and it will have a custom hood and stanf... also plan for a closed loop... I dont want to see any equipment in this tank... so all piping will be hid inside the Aquascape.. got a pump recommendation??? also any other comments, suggestions, questions.. Im up for anything.. also this tank will have a chiller... my budget isnt very limited but dont name crazy things b.c. we all know that i/you/we/anyone of us can drop 5k on a tank set-up... lol.. thanks in advance

-josh

also ALL fish AND coral WILL be Quarentined.... i cant spend all this $$$ for me to get Red Bugs and Acro/ Monti eating flatworms...... tank will not have alot of frags b.c. i want a more grown in look.. also do you have any reccomendations for a kinds and color temps of bulbs.. thanks in advance

shao-lin nano

This is quite an undertaking. With all that rock you can easily run piping for current under them.

What's wrong with frags? Once it matures and spreads it'll look grown in.

It's almost an oxymoron to say that we want to do anything in this hobby without spending lots of money unless $20K isn't a lot to you...lol.

lol, well maybe alot wasnt the right word.. i woudnt like to spend over 2.5k on just the equipment (tank, chiller, protein skimmer, lighting) that doesnt include stand and hood..... if that's possible.. then ill have LR and all that other jazz.. the total tank volume is around 75g. the thing i dont like about frags is that I dont want to wait for them to grow.. so i will get "mini colonies" unless i see something i think is really nice and its a frag... then i will get it but i would like to stick to mainly "mini colonies".... thanks in advance

-josh

P.S. i will start off with SPS w/ frags in my 30g. Oceanic Cube in about 6 months.. maybe a little less...

You might want to take a look at running only T5s. I have seen a number of great looking tanks that run only T5s in Europe and they look great. Just something to think about.

There's no way you can get Steve Weast quality for 2.5k. No matter how much $ your dad will give you, I don't think you'll ever get to that standard. T5 would be ridiculous, easily 2.5k for full coverage over 36". Deltec HOB and a "high bio-load," forget it. Why don't you get happy with your 30 cube and see if you can even grow acros, then start a thread about some dream custom???

guys chillax.. all i did was ask 4 opinions on equip. to get.... i dont really care if u had a part time job when u were a kid b.c. obviously i dont have to have one... anyway thanks, you guys helped a TON! (sarcazim [sp])

That's almost the exact size I want my next tank to be, except 36x24x18. Maybe an extra inch or so, to get to 75g. I was thinking of using 1 MH and a 96w and 65w PC actinic supplement(just cause I have the ballasts).

for 2500, you could have 10 of these

IMG_03921.jpg

anyway, there is nothing wrong with having the best if you can afford it. it's obvious you really like this stuff, so go crazy.

EXACTLY, and Drowning shut up.. i dont plan to live in my parents pool house which BTW we dont have... until im 40.. gosh.. and its not your place to be saying that, my dad is making me (and my brother) pay for all of our car (and i am not going to be driving in some POS car!) also once i get a job i will have to pay for more.. while im 13 im going to get what i can, then once i am 16 and have a job i wil be paying.. (maybe some stuff ill get from him but the bulk of it will be from me...)

lol fishfreak, they're just messin with ya, probably jealous that's all, don't take so much offense mang. I'm sure nobody is really trying to call you out etc. so no worries.

if you're fortunate enough, go for it. all people deserve to have money, some do, some don't, but just because you do doesn't mean you don't deserve it or can't use it! if your parents got you the money, then they're awesome people, and you're a lucky kid to have such great parents. Ideally wouldn't everyone want to help their kids do what they love? I'm sure it will also give you enough motivation to do the same later on.

go for it. goodluck

i'm going to have to give you props...you certainly do act your age (visualize ff on the floor in a raging tantrum).

why bother spending thousands of dollars on a larger tank if more than likely it will end up looking just like your pico? seriously...save your dad's cash for that future pos car!

on another note, take it easy...i'm just giving you a hard time.

There is something wrong with living in your parents pool house till your 40?!?

Wow I am in trouble!

Man, just the other day I asked my Dad if I could get 10 bucks a day over my usually 5. He denied me of course. WHAT a Jerk!

This post has been fictional satire. :lol:

Don't waste money like its nothing in this hobby. I have a good friend that dumped 3k into a new setup and ended up selling it for 1k in 4 months...so be Careful!!

ok drowning... lol, and thanks for the words of encouragement Koden... anyway i might be getting a 46g. BWFRNT for cheap ($600 from someone local) i dont know whats included with that yet though, so will keep u updated

scarf_ace1981

that tank sure is an inspiration to us all. i checked up on that site before and was blown away. wish i had mone like that. man. ff t5/mh combo is the way to go. if i were you i wouldn't dive into this right away. take your time and shop around maybe get good quality used stuff, that's if you want to strech those $2.5k.

ya, im not going to rush into it.. i want to get really good equipment.. i dont by used equipment.... only new.. unless it wasnt used very long...or is in great condition.. anyway i will be keeping u guys updated!

Why not get the 90G (36x24x24) for a lot less? Otherwise here's my conservative estimate:

drilled custom tank $500

lighting $500

skimmer (Deltec) $500

chiller $500

sump/fuge + return $300

CL (plumbing parts + pump) $300

Calcium reactor $500

ATO, timers, heaters,... $200

Give or take a couple hundreds for each item, it's still gonna be way over 2.5K.

Archived