Coral Vue Hydros

cutting glass

darkwaterdevil

neanderthalman

:blink:

Brave SOB.

Good job I guess - I would have put the glass against a straight edge, like a bench or counter top, to snap it. That, and tape the glass. I assume you wore gloves?

darkwaterdevil

no gloves my dad used to own a glass shop he never tought me that one though. it gave me the glass to builb my first 50 gall tank

Sure would like to know the secret of scoring glass with a razor blade.......I used to use the typical carbide wheel cutters, then I tired a single point diamond dresser I use for shaping my grinding wheels, and it worked like a champ, no lube needed and the score is precise and sharp.

neanderthalman

Spin it topwise.

I think I know what he's describing. If you imagine cutting something like paper with a razor, you'd put one corner down on the paper, and pull the razor in the direction that the blade edge is pointing. Darkwater is suggesting that you pull in the opposite direction, away from the sharpened edge.

Oooh... I get it now.

You know, I think I might just be foolhardy enough to try this, even though I have a dimond-tipped class cutter...

• 9 months later...
mybuickskill6979

he's got more balls the me lol thats for sure. about about a few precise blows with aball peen hammer? hehe. i think i like a glass cuter better. and a straight edge

mybuickskill6979
yeah I agree, I cut my damn finger pushing the blade back into the case

lol!! i used a box cutter to slice my index finger open when i was younger, i just wanted to see what it could doo lol. i guess my aunt and my mom didn't like waking up in the way they did that day lol!!!!! :lol:

i tried to use a glass cutter, the little wheel on the end of a metal stick, with no dice. i would score it, then go to snap but, everytime it would break along my score a portion of the way and then just snap in the other direction. i broke two pieces trying to cut baffles for my refugium, only to find out that home depot carried pieces of glass exactly the size i was trying to cut.

mybuickskill6979
FYI: This is a pretty old thread. Darkwaterdevil hasn't been online since mid-September. ;)

I posted a link here for educational purposes.

ok now i feel stupid lol!!

Don't try to break glass on your knee. If it runs off the score you could wind up with a nice sized piece of glass in your leg. If your really unlucky it will slice your femoral and then you will die.

Archived