Top Shelf Aquatics

Diatoms

wooz29

2 weeks for me also...and i got it bad

I got mine at about 2 weeks, and it was BAD, brown fur EVERYWHERE. Glass, rocks, sand, powerheads, lid...no wait...not the lid :happy:

I had mine like 9 days after set up. It went away by itself within like 2 days..not even joking. My tanks now a month old, i just got 10 blue leg hermits, and 2 margarita snails yesterday, so all is good. Did my first water change, but i had a question, how does everyone put the new water in the tank? I dripped mine in, but it took like 4 hours...there must be a quicker way!

Flick

, but i had a question, how does everyone put the new water in the tank?

Pour it in the sump.....or in my NC6 I am thinking I will pour it in the rear chambers....dunno...haven't done a water change on my NC yet....but, with my surface skimmer, the water levels stay constant in the display and levels drop in the back. I am thinking I will take it from there and replace it there also....since the rear chambers in the NC are kinda like a sump...

If my live rock was cured will it take a longer period or shorter period of time?

do you mean precured? if its precured it will take a shorter time---but dont underestimate the curing process.

thx fishstick

the only tyhing is that i dont have a refugium yet, nor a sump...so i just dripped it in over my powerhead so the new water got mixed right away...then when the water got to low to drip, i feed the extra into my aquamini 'mini fuge' that has LR rubble,and some sand.

FLick

If my live rock was cured will it take a longer period or shorter period of time?

Hard to say. Mine appeared in two weeks and were mostly gone in a week.

I got my diatoms about 2 weeks after start-up. My rock is non cured lettuce liverock from lfs. I am about 1 month into my new 12g dx, I had alot of die off from the rock. Got a couple algae blooms but nothing crazy. Added an emerald crab about week 3, and a couple snails from my 90g reef. The best snail is the cerith, it eats everything and sift's the sand.

thx fishstick

the only tyhing is that i dont have a refugium yet, nor a sump...so i just dripped it in over my powerhead so the new water got mixed right away...then when the water got to low to drip, i feed the extra into my aquamini 'mini fuge' that has LR rubble,and some sand.

FLick

use a powerhead and some airline tubing that fit over the outlet of the powerhead. thats how i do mine. just use the powerhead you use for mixing the salt.

oh and i got my diatoms like 2-3weeks later but now there all gone and now i got algae(tank has been 'cycling' for 2months, money has been short)

i have 19lbs of cured LR and 20lbs of LS in my 10g and it took about 1.5 weeks for my bloom to start....now its everywhere, sand, glass, heater, rocks, powerhead.....hopefully it'll go away soon...

Archived