Cultivated Reef

Help! RO/DI unit not working properly

scarf_ace1981

scarf_ace1981

as stated i bought an RO/DI unit and it arrived friday. i didn't get it installed until sunday since i had to buy one of the little elbows that broke during shipping. well i let it run last night for ten mins(only through the 3 prefilters). when i hooked everything up so i could start filling my tanks water would only come out the yellow line which leads to my sink drain. what's the deal??? i looked @ the diagrams several times everything is connected properly.

1) cold water(red line) into first pre-filter

2)discharge water(yellow line) from flow restrictor to sink drain

3) no RO water coming out of 6th stage filter

please someone help me.

Not sure if this is the case but it takes time for the good water to get all the way through the system and the DI filter. While it is taking this time the waste will pour out. How long did you have it hooked up and running?

scarf_ace1981,

I got one of the RO/DI systems from aquasafe and it works great! I believe that crazyelece is correct. It also might depend on your water pressure. If your water pressure is too low you're going to have an extremely high rejection rate. because the good water can't press through the membrane.

Aquasafe sells a bunch of different kits did yours come with a water pressure meter?

I believe that the recommended pressure is 60 PSI. If you house has under 40 psi you are more than likely going to need a RO Booster Pump.

Marker

on the right side of the unit there is an elbow with a plug in it that would be taken out if you had a water tank hooked up to it.pull the plug out a little bit, it might be in too far. I have the same unit and the same thing happened to me and that fixed it, also make sure your flush valve is closed

I don't see it mentioned, but there is a valve on the front of the unit. Have you checked to make sure that it is in the appropriate position?

scarf_ace1981

thanks guys. you know i turned it on last night and it finally started filling my tank. the psi is like 40 so i may have to get a booster pump. and yes the flow restrictor is in the correct position. one thing i may have to check is that plug shaq mentioned. i'll see if it's pushed in to much.

i started filling my 30g at about 9:00pm, woke up this morning at 8:00am and it was just over half full. so slow is an understatement.

scarf_ace1981

oh one other thing... the water coming out of the filter has to travel about 30ft give or take to the tanks in my room. could this be the cause of the problem. if the water had to travel a shorter distance would it make a difference?

scarf_ace1981

one other thing... is there supposed to be a hissing noise coming out of the flow restrictor? i noticed this last night and decided to put some electrical tape on the joints where any air can escape. i also noticed the black knob has a screw and if i put my ear to it i could hear some air escape so i improv'd and stuck some chewing gum in there. didn't want to put anything that would cause me problems later on to remove.

Archived