Pod Your Reef

Gatorade bottle = cheapest phosban reactor ever!

Undertheradar

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about using a quart sized or gallon milk jug? Lot more media could be placed in that.

The shape of the milk jug might cause the flow to distribute unevenly. I'm not sure that would be a huge issue, however...I, personally, would stick containers with a circular base. If you are looking for a larger containter, Juicy Juice and other companies have larger juice bottles that are shaped just like a large gatorade bottle.

Purigens beads are so tiny! How to do this with purigen? I know it's an old thread but a great thread.

Are purigen beads smaller than GFO granules? I just made one of these reactors for GFO and have no problems with the beads leaking out - I actually didn't drill any holes in the lid other than the hole for the pvc pipe to go through. I just drilled that hole so it isn't water tight, that way water can flow out, but nothing else gets through.

What about the gallon of apple juice containers? Also with the pipe leading into the container couldnt you drill holes to distribute water throughout the container? I may use one of these spare parts from my work. I manufacture these as well as portable deionizers. I could just run a pump go from my sump into this bad boy then a drain line back into my fuge. Thats .25 cu feet of filtering space haha.

images_zps7c4cefda.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Are purigen beads smaller than GFO granules?

I don't know. Never used gfo yet but do have purigen which are like sand lol

I don't know. Never used gfo yet but do have purigen which are like sand lol
Yes Purigen is smaller than GFO. You would need a sponge in the top for Purigen. I personally think you need a spinge in the top for carbon or GFO.

Yes Purigen is smaller than GFO. You would need a sponge in the top for Purigen. I personally think you need a spinge in the top for carbon or GFO.

A standard sponge will not be able to block 100% of the Purigen. After running it in a reactor for a couple of weeks I've seen how tiny some of the particles are and they are tiny! Seachem said you need a 100 or 200, don't recall which, micron screen/mesh to block the tiniest of Purigen particles which is what I'm using in my modified BRS Deluxe reactor.

Pretty good weight difference with the various sized particles too, as one would expect. The smallest particles end up trapped at the top of the reactor while everything else tumbles nicely. If I turn the flow down enough to tumble the tiny particles the larger stuff ends up sitting on the bottom.

Archived